Twelve+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song-----------}

Twelve+

“Alright come at me, Punk.” I taunt with a smirk at my twin brother.

He rolls his eyes, “Really? Who are you Clint Eastwood?”

I grin freakishly, “Yes, how nice of you to notice.”

A pebble comes flying at us and we both flinch back before looking over at our audience consisting of Edie, Nora and Orin. Orin high-fives Nola who gives him a toothy grin in return. Shooting them both my nastiest glare I’m suddenly hit in the chest with another pebble. I look up to see Edie with a taunting grin on her face.

I need new family members, I grumble to myself.

“Get to the sparing! Your boring!” Edie yells at us.

“We’re not here to entertain you.” I yell back.

She rolls her ice blue eyes, “of course you are, why else would we come?”

“Because you a pain in the ass?”

Another pebble but this one hits me in the boob. “Wrong answer!”

“I’m about to impale you with a shadow.” I warn.

Edie smiles serenely, “I’d haunt you until you died.”

I think about it for a second. Ah screw it; it’s not worth it.

Turning back to Gideon I don’t hesitate to release my agitation on him. Flexing my fingers and feeling the cool tickle of power crackle across my flesh I use my shadows to shove him away from me. He flies across the room arms and legs flailing until he hits the farthest wall in the factory from me with an echoing crack. Smiling to myself I don’t have time to reach as one of barbed shadows whips around my ankle making me fall on my ass with a yelp.

Now I am getting really annoyed.

“Kick his butt, Lala!” Nola cheers from her Barbie lawn chair.

Orin is standing against a support beam next to her smirking with amusement at the little monster. Edie is on the other side of her in her own hunter green lawn chair eating sunflower seeds like this is a baseball game instead of demon training 101. I told her to just stay home but my nosey sister wanted to come watch. Nola begged to tag along and you try saying no to a face that adorable.

I dare you.

I rise to my feet rubbing the landing zone on my ass, “Oh I will.”

Gideon rises to his feet on the other side of the factory and smirks, “Come at me, Punk.”

Unfurling my wings I watch with a smug smirk as Gideon drops all his guard at the sight of the expanse of my wings. I also hear two other gasps that also make me drop my guard. Oops, I forgot we had company. Folding my wings behind my back though not letting them slide in so they don’t brush the dirty floor I try to hide them behind me while facing my sister and niece. I should have been careful with Nola here. I don’t want her to be afraid of me.

“Uh…”

“Lila, they’re so pretty.” Edie says with tears in her eyes and her hands cupping her mouth loosely. “I don’t remember them being so large.”

“It’s been awhile since I let them grow.” I shrug.

“Grow?” Gideon asks with a furrowed brow, “What do you mean? Weren’t they always there?”