02.

there's gonna be spelling errors so let's just not talk about them, k? :)

Carmen's cheeks were sore that week, the excessive smiling from her continuous late night chats with Hermione Granger forced the apples of her cheeks to strain harder than they ever did before. Even during the exhilarating events during the first task, she was constantly glancing in the crowd, it was like her eyes were magnetized to the young Gryffindor, and even simply watching her so concerned over the champions, it was fascinating to Carmen. She just didn't understand how someone could be so absolutely worried over somebody who wasn't blood.

But that was friendship, and that concept was virtually foreign to Carmen Lestrange. Draco Malfoy was the closest she'd ever get to having a best friend, and that was because he was her cousin. They were basically obliged to tolerate each other, but it wasn't always so easy. Draco and Carmen used to get along like fire and water, insulting each other every chance they got, it was like a competition for them. The night the feverous fighting was the first and only time Crabbe and Goyle stayed over for the night, Draco had insulted Carmen, Carmen had insulted Draco, but the moment Crabbe opened his mouth and made a snide comment about Carmen Lestrange's mother, the room when shockingly quiet, Carmen's face taking on a stone cold expression foreign to most 7 year olds, but Draco had seen this face multiple times before.

He saw it on himself when he heard the mutters on the streets, he saw it on Carmen too many times, every single time she picked up a copy of The Daily Prophet and was reminded of the deranged family she was thrown into. From that day forward, Draco and Carmen got along just fine, their animosity blossoming into a companionship that couldn't be broken by even the most powerful of curses.

Carmen wasn't sure she'd be able to let someone new in the way she let Hermione in, but without her even knowing, it had somehow happened. She left out most of the harsh details, instead unknowingly playing into her families picture-perfect facade.

Shortly after the first task, Carmen sat in a room full of Slytherins, hearing Snape drone on about the Yule Ball, which was absolute bologna to her. She was going to be either stuck with some gross, great Slytherin guy, or sitting on the sidelines while Pansy jumped on Draco's ass the first second she has the chance while what she really wanted to do was dance and enjoy herself.

Snape's droning voice ceased and people began moving, the ladies pairing up with guys, and though she received several suggestive glances, the thought of having one of these greasy man beasts have their arms on her almost made her throw up, so instead she strutted towards where Pansy was practically sobering over her cousin.

Pansy apparently felt the need to open her mouth, snakiness practically written on her forehead, "Please tell me you're not seriously going to dance with your cousin? You're related, that's just wrong and utterly depressing" She crunched up her nose, and the irony of it all was just too much for Carmen to ignore.

"If you spent as much time learning about your family as you do having nasty, wet fantasies about my cousin you'd know that your family is part of the sacred twenty eight, meaning somewhere down the line, our families have more than likely taken the phrase 'keeping it in the family' a little too seriously, so by all means, be disgusted by the fact that I'm dancing with him instead of the multiple sweaty and degrading numerous others who wanted to dance with me, but maybe take a look at your own overlapping, incestuous family tree." Carmen spoke with a sickly sweet smile, enjoying watching the snarky look fall off of the Parkinson girls face, and when se opened her mouth to defend herself and her family, Carmen cut her off.

"Beat it, Parkinson."

Carmen genuinely did have fun dancing with Draco, the two frantically mocking Snape's presentation of dancing before his back, whispering snide comments about the other Slytherins and evading Pansy Parkinson's dirty looks.