thirty • over and out

• • •

It feels like an hour goes by before Gray loosens his grip on the toilet seat and slithers to the side, his back against the cold tile wall. I mop him up and push his hair off his damp forehead, and I curse his mother for doing this to him.

"I'm sorry," he murmurs.

"It's fine, Gray."

"What time is it?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe one?" I remember thrusting my phone at Liam a while ago to look something up, when his had died and I couldn't type properly. I guess he still has it. Squeezing his shoulder, I clumsily clean up around him, my legs a little shaky. "We should find you somewhere to sleep."

He shakes his lolling head, his eyes closing. "This is good."

It's not. It's disgusting. He's on the floor of a stall in a communal bathroom, but at least he's not crying or barfing. I'm tempted to let him stay there, and I sit with him for a minute until it sinks in how gross this is.

"Come on," I mutter, hauling him to his feet. He lets out a groan and sinks against me. He's a total dead weight; there's no way I can drag him all the way back to Liam's room. One of the cold-airs is right next to the bathroom, and I doubt every bed will be full tonight. Half the guys are probably too drunk to care if Gray's in their bed.

I help him onto the bottom bunk of a bed that looks the least used and grab a waste paper basket when he has to hurl again, and when he's done, he starts to quietly cry. So I just hold him. I don't know what more I can say, especially when he's drunk so much. I kind of hope he won't remember this in the morning.

Eventually, when he falls asleep on his side with a clean basket on the floor, I deem it safe enough to leave him. The party's in full swing downstairs but I don't want to just go and drink more and end up on my own. I want Liam.

He's not hard to find. As I head downstairs, he's heading up. We bump into each other when we both go in for a tipsy, grinning hug.

"I've been looking for you," he says, kissing my cheek. His hand roves from my waist to my hips, slipping to my butt. He leans close, slightly unsteady on his feet, and kisses me, pushing against me. "Where'd you go?"

"Gray didn't feel good," I say. "He's sleeping now."

"That sucks," he says with a sigh. "In my room?"

"One of the dorms." I lean into Liam and just rest my cheek against his chest for a moment. He fumbles in his pocket for a moment and passes me my dead phone, and he kisses my forehead.

"Are you sleepy?" he asks.

"No." I'm actually not. I'm exhausted in a different way – just with how things are going with Gray, mostly. But I'm not tired. Certainly not when Liam holds me so close and I can feel just how not tired he is. I slip my hand into his. "But that doesn't mean we can't go to bed."

Liam lets out a surprised laugh and follows when I lead him to his bedroom and pause outside.

"Davis isn't here, is he?" I ask. I realize it's easily been an hour since I found Gray. "I know he and Annika were fighting earlier."

"God knows." Liam rakes a hand through his hair and carefully pushes the door open with his elbow. It's empty. Davis's bed is messy but it's free from a body tangled in the crumpled covers.

"All to ourselves," I say, nudging closer to Liam. Maybe it's the alcohol talking, maybe it's that I've been wanting this for a while now, maybe I need a distraction. Maybe it helps that I can feel he wants it too. I think tonight is the night. I want to sleep with him.