Chapter 3

The light flooded into the room. I turned to the other side, but I knew it was of no use. Soon, the whole room would be bright. As much as I hated waking up early, I knew I had to. I simply dragged my feet to my bathroom and took a shower. The warm water did nothing to wake me up fully. After taking a shower, I put on a long pink gown with fluffy hands. I chose a black veil to wrap around my hair. When I went downstairs, my siblings were already eating. I joined them and quickly ate, then took Amina's car to the shop. We decided to go to the biggest shop in our little town, so we could buy a lot of things at once.

"What should we buy first?" Fatee asked when we arrived at the shop. It was located on a very busy street, where most of our town's supermarkets were. I opened my bag and brought out the list I jotted from school. Our teacher, Mr. Cameron, wrote a list of Items that we would use at the camp. "Let's begin with the top ones." I said and gave her the list.

"Muhammed, get the torch and insect repellent." We began piling items on our trolley. In the middle of buying the camp items, we saw a really cute shoe and then changed directions, buying other items. We spent quite some time there, before we headed back home. On our arrival, Mom had cooked my favourite food.

"Oh Mom. You shouldn't have." I told her.

"Nonsense. You know that I must do this. It's my job. Especially since I know that you love it."

"Thanks Mom. But it's not your job. You sound like those chauvinist on the T.V. Your job is to rest." I hugged her, and went upstairs to rest and freshen up before going out with some of my friends.

*****

"Hey, guys!" I greeted.

"Hey Jams." They replied.

We were at a new restaurant that opened recently two streets away from my house. The food there was delicious. A lot of people trooped in to patronize them. Drew, the twins and I were sitted on a long table in the corner. On the class groupchat, everyone was busy sending pictures of themselves either buying new items or getting their boxes ready for the trip. The restaurant was filled, so we raised our voices to speak amidst all the noise.

"So, what's new?" Alex asked.

"Ugh. My siblings just annoyed me. Can you imagine? I asked them to choose between a black and brown coat. Guess what? They couldn't. Instead, Ken ran out to play with his Xbox and Jennifer left! Those kids are unbelievable." Nina said in one breath.

I rolled my eyes. Nina had three siblings - Jennifer, Johnny and Ken the youngest. They were very smart especially Ken, so they gave Nina a hard time. Although? they were very cool to be around. "Nina, stop overreacting over some coats. It's so cliche," I told her.

"Did you buy the items you wanted, Jams?" Alexa asked. She was always colouring her hair with different dyes just like her favourite K- Pop artists did. In addition, her small face, tiny eyes, lips and stature as a whole made her look like them.

"Ya. I bought a plastic plate bowl, socks, bedsheets, torch and insect repellent. I think that's all. The other items in the list, I already have them."

"What of blankets?" Alex asked.

"Oh shoot. I totally forgot of that." Annoyed with myself, I wondered why I didn't write it. I now remembered that it was among the items written on the board at school. I hoped it was the only one I forgot about.

"Don't worry. I bought a few, so you could use one." Alexa waved her hand, as if to brush it off.

"Aww. Thanks dear."

"You're welcome." She replied in a high pitched voice, smiling. Alexa was a twin. She and her twin brother, Alex went and did everything together. Apart from their constant fights and picking at each other, they were my very good friends and I cherished them. I always told them of how cute they were. Alexa was a medium height slim girl, just like her brother. They both had small brown eyes, with a round face. Only difference was their hair colour. While Alexa had a brown hair with pink stripes, Alex chose to keep their original colour - black.