Chapter 21

Alessio

During these past weeks, things had changed. A whole lot. The students were free to do whole lots of activities outside. But I thought it needed to stop. I explained to Mr Cameron but he shrugged it off saying it was all in my head. The thing is, something is wrong. I just know it. Meela had been acting strange with her friends. I tried to figure out why but I couldn't.

These few nights I would go round the whole camp in the night. Last night I saw something scary. It was a person but not like a person. It had a slender figure, long swaying in the air. I stopped short when I found it in the backyard overlooking the boys' room. It turned and looked me in the eye. Then disappeared just like that. I swore it was a ghost. An apparatus. Maybe? But the guides refused to believe me. Graham just smirked and muttered, "I bet he hasn't had it in a long time being stuffed in this place and 'ol."

How dare he? Who did he think he was? I noticed his frequent infatuation with Adriana recently. They seemed to be getting along pretty well especially when Mr Cameron was not around.

But Graham didn't scare me. I was hell bent on trying to figure who or what was behind all these. The figure was one thing, which I thought was more spiritual. But what of the person coming in and out the camp? Last week was when I first noticed. There were footprints coming from the forest and stopped right on the doorstep. No more footprints inside. Whoever this was, was inside. I thought fast. The only explanation was that whoever It was stayed here. It was one of us. The realization hit me suddenly.

How could I have been so stupid? We were living with the enemy. But who could it be? The teachers? I doubt that. Why would they risk their job and do something like that? But whoever the fucking hell it was didn't also make sense.

Damn! I slammed my desk back in my room. How do I figure this out? I had always been a book person so I did that. Opening my paper sheet, a pen in hand, I started writing my points. There was a psychopath on the loose. He/she was one of us. A teacher? A guide? Students? Anyone could have a reason. Some reason.

There was also supernatural occurrences. Weird apparition in the backyard. As I was writing one of the students was likely involved in the occult world due to her frequent weirdness, I heard a sharp sound in the backyard. I jolted upright and tiptoed to my window. Taking my torch, I investigated.

It was a very cold night. I shuddered peering my torch into the coolness of the dark. Something sweeped past my leg. I couldn't see it. Just then, that song that had been tormenting the boys' room started. There was nothing there but the song. I wondered where it came from.

I felt my head swaying, my body light. Something was pushing me forward. I couldn't fight it. It was as if I was sleepwalking. I pulled all my strength and overpowered whatever it was. My torch had fallen so I ran back to the door with no light. My hand on tbe knob, i turned one last time. There was something glowing in the darkness. Small glows like eyes sparking in the dead of the night.

I couldn't sleep. I saw the first rays of light. My mind couldn't phantom what I saw. What was that? I went outside but couldn't find the torch. Everything was normal.

Graham was the first to come out, yawning. "Good morning."

"Morning. How did you sleep?"

"Not good." I raised an eyebrow. He continued, "I couldn't wake up or turn all through the night. Like something was pulling me. You know?"

I did know. And so did everyone apparently. They all woke up in anguish. Everyone narrated what happened last night. I managed to draw mi amor away from all the noise. "Hey. What happened last night?"

"I don't know. I couldn't open my eyes no matter how hard I tried. I slept very poorly."

"Oh. I'm so sorry my love. I think I know what happened." I narrated everything to her but omitted the part where I thought one of us was responsible. I needed to investigate more before telling her. 

i refused to relax in one place. Through out the day, i went around the camp and watched everything closely. Monitoring. 

Fighting broke out between Adriana, Caleb and Miranda.

"you're a bastard!" Adriana screamed at Caleb. 

"Don't you dare insult my cousin, you piece of shit. We've been nothing but loyal to you but what. You never appreciated us. All you do is push us around like your damn pets." I rushed between them and quickly hurled them inside because a crowd was already gathering. What the hell was this? Mr Cameron called them to order and each told their point of view. Caleb and Miranda were plotting something against Adriana and she caught them discussing it. This time, Mrs. Sana was the one who gave the punishment. They each were told to apologize, and given something to do before nightfall. 

Mr Cameron sank in his seat, face solemn. i knew all he wanted was for the students to be happy. "Sir, are you okay?"

"Everything's going to hell, Alessio. Look at us. everyone is confused and scared. even the games and quizzes and exercise we were supposed to achieve, we can't. Have you thought about everything that has happened since we came here. Students are missing. oh my God! What will I tell their parents? Their families? How do you think I feel? No, no." 

"But Sir, you shouldn't think like that. We can..." 

"No Alessio. We cannot do anything. We are stranded." Those words stayed with me for the whole day. Stranded. How did it get to this? I had to do something. And fast.