Loss Weighs Hard

Cobalt sat upright, shaking from his nightmare. He looked around and tried to clam himself down but that just made his chest seem to work harder.

He looked up and saw Optimus lumbering toward him. He kneeled down and stretched out a servo. "Are you alright, friend?"

Cobalt gulped. "Fine," he assured although he wasn't. He wanted to just curl up and hide but he knew he couldn't. He had to be strong. "Just had a nightmare. Sorry I called you."

He heard the slightest cough from across the room and he pricked his ears. "Is that Eclipse," he asked in a mixture of shock and horror.

Optimus shook his head. "No that's something else," he lied as he positioned himself so that Cobalt couldn't see. "Ratchet would like to run some more tests in the morning. You need your rest."

"Can I at least see her," begged Cobalt as he blinked his optics in terror. "I won't stand close to her and if I need to cough I'll go away but I just want to see her!" His voice rose to a bit. "Please."

Optimus shook his head. "I'm sorry but it's just not safe. She might contract whatever you have," Optimus pointed out. Cobalt knew it was true but he didn't want to admit it.

Cobalt coughed heavily again and lowered his head on his paws. "I don't expect you to understand but as soon as Moon and I saw Eclipse I made a promise to always keep the both of them safe."

Optimus sat down and looked down at Cobalt. "You've done a fine job."

"Fine job," echoed Cobalt with a laugh. "Fine job? I promised my mate that I'd keep her safe and she's offline." He looked up and more liquid fell from his optics. "I failed her and I will not fail Eclipse."

Optimus stretched out a servo to comfort him but Cobalt drew backwards, afraid he might contaminate him as well. "I don't want to get you sick," he sputtered as he rested his ears against his head. "The Autobots need you to lead to look after them. They don't need me."

Optimus sighed and shook his head. "You may not be a leader but they do need you," he argued.

Cobalt took in a breath before it turned to a strained wheeze. "Only one thing needs me right now and her name is Eclipse." He knew he was probably acting stubborn but he had to be for his daughter's sake. "I know you don't understand. You're not a father."

"No I'm not," confessed Optimus. "But I do know what it's like to need to protect those who are close to you."

Cobalt smiled a bit, understanding. "You're a wonderful leader Optimus and if anything would happen to me I'd like you to take care of Eclipse."

"Nothing is going to happen to you," growled Optimus. "Ratchet is going to fix you."

"And if he doesn't," inquired Cobalt. He couldn't really afford to think like that but he couldn't stop the thoughts from creeping into his mind. "I want you to look after her for me. Can you promise me that?" His optics were pleading.

Optimus didn't want to agree but he didn't feel like he had a choice. "I promise but you're not going anywhere."

"Only time will tell," coughed Cobalt as he turned his head and settled in his nest. He wrapped his tail around where Eclipse usually slept and sighed heavily, exhausted from coughing. "I already lost Moon. I won't lose Eclipse too."