Chapter 5: Sleeping

My art sucks.

(Jeremy's PoV)

"Kinky," Jared said loudly, smirking. I felt my face grow hot as I realized the position Michael and I were in. I looked down to see how badly Michael was blushing.

He looked like a fucking tomato, and he was breathing heavily. Probably because I was sitting on him. It's kind of hard to breathe when you are being sat on.

I got off of him awkwardly and faced the trio, embarrassed and flustered. "What took you so long?"

"Murphy was kind of busy fucking Evan when you called, so..."

"I was not!" Connor scowled. "I was..." He thought for a second, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Smoking."

"I was doing homework," Evan mumbled.

"Sure," Jared said sarcastically. He laughed when both of them blushed a deep red with embarrassment. "And what were you doing, Heere?"

Michael stood up, trying to regain some breath. "He... was..."

"I tickled him. He cheated at AotD."

"...did not," Michael insisted, pointing at me. "Advantage." He seemed to recover from my wrath a bit, and started to breathe more normally. "We did a one-on-one while we waited for you, and I won. He wasn't too happy about that." He grinned.

"By won, he means cheated," I muttered.

"Did not..."

"You guys are, um, really cute together," Evan said, smiling. "When did you meet?"

I felt my face turn red. Again. I looked over at Michael and he looked just how I felt. "A-actually," I stuttered, "I have a girlfriend."

"And I met him when I was high," Michael mumbled shamefully staring at the carpet. Oh.

That explains why he was so angry, but only for that one day. Every other day he's just... antisocial.

"We met just the other day—" I began.

"I walked in on him making out with Christine, of all people. Ugh." He shuddered, disgusted. Jared let out a loud laugh, covering his mouth as he did so.

"Pfft— for real? Christine?!  You could have done so much better!"

"Hey, what's wrong with Christine?" I said, a bit defensively.

"Nothing's wrong with her," Connor put in, "it's just that some people don't like her."

"Like me," Michael and Jared said in unison.

"That was the first breakdown I'd had in a long time," Michael said bitterly to himself, but I didn't hear him say it.

"W-why don't you like her?" I asked incredulously. "She's--"

"Annoying, rude, and brash," Jared deadpanned.

"She doesn't ever stay on topic for more than five minutes," Connor put in.

Michael looked at the ground. "She doesn't stop asking questions." He sat on the floor, with the pillow behind his head. He leaned backwards, closing his eyes. "She always assumes I'm high, or just don't care anymore."

Oh.

"She won't let up on all of the constant talking, so I guess I just eventually grew to hate her," Connor said angrily. "Michael?" he suddenly said, kneeling down so he was next to the shorter boy. Michael's chest rose and fell evenly, signifying that he was asleep. He didn't stir or open his eyes when his name was mentioned.