Chapter 15: Birthday

(Michael's PoV)

The rest of the day went by pretty quickly, and before I knew it, I was walking through the door to my house.

I heard voices in the living room, and so I walked in there to see who was talking to my father.

"Jasmine?"

In the past few days, the woman had been in the hospital room all the time, usually talking to my mother while she slept, or having a conversation. I had learned to get along with her, and she seemed like a nice enough person.

That didn't explain why she was in the living room having a conversation with my father.

"Oh!" my father said, smiling. "You already know each other."

I nodded slowly. "What is she doing here?" I said, frowning.

Why? Why is the woman who took my mother away from my father talking to him?

My father looked at Jasmine. "She was at the hospital with your mother. I invited her over."

Jasmine smiled. "Come talk with us, Michael."

"Actually," I said awkwardly, "I'm going over to Jeremy's house tonight." I shrugged. "I'll probably stay over there."

"Okay," my father said, nodding. "Happy birthday, Micha."

I left the house with a warm feeling in my chest.

(Small time skip brought to you by: Kit Kat: Have a break, have a Kit Kat.)

I got out of my car and headed towards the door of Jeremy's house. Before I even got to the door, I could clearly hear giggling and muffled talking.

I knocked on the door and the giggling instantly ceased. I heard loud shushing.

The door opened to reveal a red-faced Jeremy. His hair was messed up and he was breathing heavily, sweating a little. "Come in," he said breathlessly, moving so I could go in first.

"Salamat, Jeremy," I said, smiling.

I followed the taller boy inside and was instantly tackled by at least four different people. 

"Ugh— you're squishing me," I complained, laughing.

I felt everyone get off of me and I started feeling around for my glasses.

"You should have come earlier!" Rich's voice sounded in my ear, causing me to flinch. "We were having the pillow fight of all pillow fights."

"Yeah." Jenna. "You would have never guessed Rich was a guy, his squeals are so high pitched."

"Shut up, Jenna!" Rich. A thump followed that, along with an "oof."

"I can't see, guys," I whined, sitting up.

"Here." I felt a pair of soft hands touch mine, with something with thin metal frames and glass in them. I accepted the item when I figured out that they were my glasses.

"Salamat."

I put them on and watched the world come into focus. Jenna was whacking Rich repeatedly with a large white pillow. Brooke was taking pictures of me and Jeremy, and I realized my face must be as red as his. Jake was sitting in the corner with another pillow, ready to defend himself in case he was attacked.

"Stop!" Rich screamed, uncontrollably giggling as he squirmed on the floor. "I'm sorry!"

Jenna had resorted to tickling, and Rich was her victim. Jake stood up. "Leave him alone!" he said, whacking Jenna with his pillow.