Chapter 3

We all stand frozen in place staring at the girl. Her eyes darting between the three of us. Her stance is strong but her shaky hands give her away. She's nervous, uncomfortable with the situation at hand.

Sam slowly raises his hands up, a gesture showing that he means to cause her no harm.

"We don't want any trouble, just put the gun down and we'll be on our way."

She opens her mouth to respond but is cut off by the sound of someone yelling.

A few feet behind her three men emerge from the woods. One of them is yelling at the top of his lungs, while the other two hopelessly try to call him down. The girl instantly turns around and runs in their direction.

"Get it off! Get it off!" His voice grows more desperate with every passing second.

I scan his body to see what he wants off him when I see a hunting trap clenched onto his foot.

His words melt into a scream before he falls to the ground. His face is unfamiliar but his screams are. The screaming that we heard earlier must have come from him.

The man with vivid red hair drops to his side and grabs his leg while the one with dark hair holds down his upper body. The girl reaches them, throwing her gun on the ground and proceeding to help hold him down.

"We gotta go."

I turn to Sam who's grabbing Myla's hand.

"We should help him" I say looking at the group of people trying to calm the man down.

"Lexa a minute ago one of those people had a gun pointed at my chest." His voice is laced with annoyance but it simmers down. "I feel for the guy but it looks like he has more than enough help."

With a small sigh I hesitantly turn around and we start to walk away. I feel horrible for walking away but Sam's right. We have more important things to worry about.

Our disappearance goes unnoticed and we walk for about two minutes before a single gunshot echoes through the air.

I'm struck by the familiar feeling of a pit growing in my stomach as I turn in the direction of the gunfire.

We have put some good distance between ourselves and the others but I can clearly see the man with red hair lying limp on the ground.

The girl and dark hair man are trying to disarm the man holding the gun. It appears the guy that had been injured has gone rouge.

I turn around catching a look of worry on Myla's face, without a word we go from walking hastily to running hectically.

A shriek interrupts the sound of our pounding feet. I will myself not to look back but curiosity gets the best of me. I turn to see the injured man charging in our direction.

The pit in my stomach turns into an abyss as I see that his eyes have turned white, hollowed out and glazed over.

He must have been touched by the wisp before his people got him out of the woods.

I turn around and push myself to run faster because if I don't the injured man is going to catch up to me.

The others run just ahead of me, I hear the man scream again, this time closer. I try to focus on the open space a head of me but I lose my footing for a moment.

The moment is quick but it was long enough for the man behind me catch up to me.

I'm tackled to the ground, a scream escapes my throat. I'm pinned down by the man on top of me and I'm using every once of my strength to get away from his grasp.

My attempts to escape go unnoticed by the man, given that he is twice my size. His hands reach for my throat. I try kicking at his injured foot but he seems to be immune to pain now.

I start to feel my lungs burning for air, my vision grows blurry and I'm overwhelmed by pain. I can feel myself slipping away when the man hovering above me gets thrown to the side. Air floods back into my lungs as I scramble to my feet, trying to get as far away from the man as possible.

Sam's on top of him, he's relentlessly punching the man in the face yet the man is able to throw him off. His movements are harsh and emotionless.

I run over to help Sam, I can her Myla sobbing in the background. The sound of her cries fill me with anger and pain.

I tug at the mans shoulders and manage to jab my fingers in his eyes before he flings me off him and returns his attention back to Sam. They are both on their feet now and are violently trying to take each other out.

I run back towards the injured man, this time I'm joined by two others, the man and the girl from earlier.

The three of us manage to get him away from Sam and onto the ground. The girl points a gun at him and warns him to stop. However the man ignores her command and pounces at her.

The gun goes flying out of her hands and falls by the other mans foot or should I say boy. He looks much younger up close.

The girl struggles to get him off her and Sam jumps in to help her.

I look over at the boy standing near me, the gun is now resting in his hands. For a moment he looks torn on what to do but he seems to come to a decision. He quickly takes aim and shoots the man in the back of his head. He topples over instantly, lading with a thud on top of the girl.

I look at the boy who stands trembling at the sight of the dead body, his expression hard to read.

I swear I can feel the ground shake as the girl roars in anger.

"You didn't have to do that!" She yells. "You didn't have to do that." She gets up and hurtles herself towards the trembling boy.

My feet move before I can think and I push her away form him.

"Stop he didn't do anything wrong!" I say, putting my hands up, trying to calm her down but she repays me with a sneer.

"Well you little bi"

She's stopped by Sam before gets the opportunity to tackle me.

"Leave them alone."  He orders, tightening the grip on her arm.

If looks could kill we'd all be lying dead right now as she swiftly glares at all of us.

"He killed him!" She shouts at him before looking over Sam's shoulder.

"You killed him." Her voice is laced with even more venom than before as she glowers at the boy whose avoiding to meet her gaze.

"That boy didn't kill anyone, your friend was dead the second that wisp touched him." Sams words are dripping with disgust. "You should be thankful, that man would have killed all of us if he was given the chance," he points in the direction of the boy with his free hand. "He just put your friend out of his misery. Now stop whining and calm down."

Her glare has turned into a gawk as she looks at Sam. He lets go of her arm after she says nothing for a while. Sam glances towards me and begins to walk away. I take the hint and beckon Myla to come my way.

She has stopped crying but I can still see the trail her tears took when streaming down her face. I put my arm around her shoulders and bring her close to me as we walk a way, turning her face towards me as we walk past the dead mans body.

I can still feel the ghost of his hands on my neck.

"Where are you going?" The voice of the boy echos from behind us and I get a feeling that our newcomers won't be leaving any time soon.