Chapter 4

The sun is what wakes me up. It shines its bright rays on my face, urging me to get up. I try to ignore it but the sun wins this fight.

I sit up with a sigh and take in our new surroundings. We lie at the edge of a new forest, the trees here appear to be bigger and much more dense.

We walked roughly two miles after the whole wisp, dead men incident. None of us wanted to sleep too close to so much death.

I'm the first one up, the others lay scattered on the ground. The two newcomers lie furthest away from me and the others.

I still haven't learned their names, we walked in silence until we got here yand crashed. We were all too tired to deal with each other after everything that happened and kind of silently agreed to deal with each other in the morning.

I hear rustling to my right, I turn to see Sam groggily rubbing his eyes.

He looks more tired than usual, I guess we have last night to thank for that.

"Morning" I chirp in his direction.

He returns my greeting with a grunt and proceeds to blink the sun out of his eyes.

"What are we going to do about them?" I tilt my head in their direction.

He lazily follows my gaze before letting out another grunt. He rotates he's shoulders, trying to stretch.

"Get rid of them, the less people we have around us the better." Sleep still lingers on his tongue as he speaks.

"They could be helpful."

Sam scoffs at my response, "Yeah right, I don't know about you but I think anyone that shoots at a wisp is an idiot."

I frown at him, I don't like his answer and he knows it.

"You shouldn't be so quick to judge."

"And you shouldn't be so quick to trust."

"I never said anything about trusting them Sam, you and I both know that anyone found in these parts either live here or are on the run and something tells me those two are on the run,"

Sam opens his mouth to speak but I continue talking before he has the chance.

"I mean look at them they can't be older than nineteen, they're probably the same age as us and if they wanted to hurt us they would have done it the moment they laid eyes on us.

I look at the gun nestled in between the girls arms, she sleeps with it as a child would with a teddy bear.

I look back at his face trying to read his expression but there are too many on his face for me to pinpoint one. He's quiet for a moment and when he speaks his voice is hoarse.

"Lexa we've made it this far and I'd really hate to get caught because we decided to take two strangers a long with us."

I think of something to say but nothing sounds right in my head so I decided to say nothing.

I turn to look at Myla who sleeps beside me. I'm surprised she didn't have any nightmares given what happened last night. I guess it takes a lot to scare this girls subconscious.

A deep groan interrupts our silence, Sam and I look over at the girl who has just woken up.
She looks disgruntled.

"Morning." I sound like the happiest person alive compared to the look on her face.

She glances in my direction ignoring my greeting and proceeds to throw a rock at the boy laying near her.

Jeez no one seems to appreciate my greetings this morning, must be something in the water.