7

Today is the funeral, and I am in charge of getting the girls dressed.

I lay out Peggie's black leggings and a black dress shirt before I layout pennies black dress.

I hurry to the kitchen to fix the girls, and dad's breakfast.
I set the bowls of oatmeal out, just as I fill our cups the girls run in.

Peggy has her black boots on and her black hair is in a ponytail, penny has her black flats on and her hair is in a crazy braid.

" come here penny "

I undo get braid before I gently run my fingers through her hair, the knots beginning to release.
I begin braiding her hair, once it's in a good braid I tie it.

" there ya go kiddo "

" how do you know how to braid ?"

Peggy asks, penny nods as they both tilt their heads.

" well, mom taught me, preparing me to be a big brother, and I use to have long hair"

They smile, though they don't remember her they still know about her.
They smile, and they both hug me.
As they go to the table to eat I knock on dad's door, opening it slowly I watch him as he fumbled with his tie.
I walk over and kneel in front of him, I take the tie in my hands before I fix it for him.

" I don't understand how you can tie this thing and I can't"

he grumbles, I just smile as he straightens it out.

"I was taught by older men in the army, they didn't have family's of their own so they taught me, and the women helped me with my chores, they even taught me new recipes, and how to knit, so I'm very well rounded"

He sighs, his head resting on my shoulder.

" I'm sorry, I must be a horrible dad, I haven't taught you anything, and I'm doing a half-assed job at raising the twins, your mother was the one who could care for you guys, all I know is alpha duties"

I pull away to look him in the eyes, my gaze holding strong.

" You are doing a great job, and you are teaching us how to be strong, to be leaders, today we both need to be strong, no running, for the girls, for grandpa, ok ?"

He nods, I back up as he takes a deep breath.
He leads the way to the kitchen then sits, I eat my food quickly before I wash my dish before going to brush my teeth.

Our drive to the cemetery was long, it felt much longer than it really was.

As our family huddles around a casket, dad begins to speak.

"Oliver, he meant a lot to all of us, he wasn't just a grandpa or great-grandpa, a dad, he was a friend, a teacher, a leader and so much more"

he trails off, tears falling slowly down his cheeks.
I squeeze his hand, I lift my head up facing my family.

"Oliver was strong, he taught us what we needed to know so that we would be prepared when he no longer could be here, he was the one to push me into joining the military, he personally didn't want me to go but he supported me doing so, so I could be stronger, two years I served, and for those two years I thought of my sisters, of my father, of Oliver and of my mother, the memories I share with them kept me strong,

"now he will always be in our memories and our hearts, though his body no longer is here, he was kind to us, made us all smile, made us cry, and when we cried he would just smile as he wiped our tears, so let us celebrate his life and not morn his death, because he has not truly left us, as long as we breathe he will be here"