A way out

I completed my IGCSE English language exam in June 2018, and received an A* overall. This was my narrative essay. Enjoy :))

The house was eerily silent. An unsettling gust of wind blew at the young boy's dirty fringe, and diffused into his almost suffocating lungs.
The thick, glistening scarlet remained a permanent image in his mind, as the petrified child peered down at his submerged feet.

Mother had stormed out in a fit of rage, tears frantically falling down her sagging face as wet rain drops on a gloomy Sunday morning. He could hear her lonely cries from beyond his shut bedroom door, just as he heard The Monster's booming, menacing  laugh.

He knew something about them was different; neither Millie's nor Tommy's parents fought the way his did. Tommy's mom never had dark blue patches on her face, and Millie's dad never launched a sharp glass vase at the front door. 

Sometimes at night he could sense Mother's fear. It diffused through the rooms of the house as a dark foreboding, a predator lurking in the darkness. During nights like these the moon remained his only company, hovering above and extending a slim slither of light into the sinful house through his open bedroom window.

Yet tonight, the darkness was different. Fear clenched his heart as he stumbled backwards, away from his bloody bedroom floor. The sound of Mother's cries was long gone and instead replaced with the heavy thud of metal slamming violently against a solid skull. Guilt laced his insides, and the bitter taste of loneliness overthrew the saltiness of his tears.

Mother had vanished before The Monster began ominously stalking the house, dragging his new toy behind him. The wooden dining table was briskly smashed, and sharp shards of glass were scattered around  the kitchen floor. Heavy footsteps limped up the stairs, each followed by a low, weighty grunt. A musty stench entered the room as The Monster threw open the bedroom door.

A piercing scream. A sinister grin. Glass shattering as the window is hit. The heavy thud of a rod against the wooden floor. The Monster's body tumbling down to the ground as metal is forcefully smashed against its lifeless skull. Finally, a painful, defeated cry.

He sobbed into his tiny hands as scarlet flooded the floor. On the ground, Father's dark, empty eyes stared unforgivingly into his own.