Wash Away

Steve is constantly getting sick and Bucky is always right there to help the younger boy through it. Bucky is used to Steve being sick. Bucky is used to everything that comes with that. He is used to the coughing, the sneezing, and the muscle pains. Even if he is used to all of this, he still gets scared when Steve has a coughing fit and is struggling to breathe the oxygen he needs.

Bucky is hustling up the stairs to Steve's apartment when he is met with Sarah Rogers about half way up.

"James" she sighs "I was about to run over to your house to see if you could watch Steve tonight. I have the night shift and I don't want him to be alone." She holds the brunets shoulder lovingly

"Of course Mrs. Rogers" He smiles.

"James, how many times do I have to tell you that it's just Sarah" The  woman chuckles and gently smacks his shoulder.

"I'm sorry Mrs- Sarah" He chuckles "Okay, I'm going to go up and see him." He starts up the stairs again. 

"Soup is on the stove in a pot, James. You can heat it up!" She calls up the stairs as she is heading down them.

"Okay, thank you! I'll see you when you get home." He calls. Bucky Kicks over the brick and picks up the spare key. Unlocking the door and pushing through he is greeted with the smell of Sarah's wonderful chicken noodle soup. Toeing off his boots and slipping out of his jacket, he makes his way to the stove to warm up the soup and get something into Steve.

He puts the lid on the pot and makes his way to the boy's bedroom. Gently turning the doorknob and quietly pushing it open he sees Steve wrapped up in blankets and the slight move of them indicating he is breathing. 

"Hey Stevie" Bucky coos causing the blankets to rustle a little bit and a throaty cough emits from underneath them. Bucky strides to the bedside table and picks up the glass of water. Steve tries to sit up while surrounded by blankets but his lungs will not allow it. Bucky pulls back the covers slightly and looks at his friend with flushed cheeks and dry skin. Bucky sets the water down and helps pull Steve to a sitting position.

"Hey Buck" Steve's voice rasps.

"Hey pal" Bucky picks up the water again and bring it to Steve's mouth. Steve reluctantly takes a sip and pulls back indicating he is done. Bucky places the water back down and gestures for Steve to move over so Bucky can get under the covers. Steve takes the hint and scoots over to the left side of the bed to make enough room for the older boy. Bucky shucks out of his slacks, leaving him in his boxers.

He pulls back the covers and slides his legs in beside the skinny, white legs. 

"How are ya feelin'?" Bucky asked as he lifted his arm above the blond's head so the younger one could nestle up next to the bigger boy. Steve did just that as he put his icy feet between Bucky's warm legs. Bucky jumped at the sudden intrusion. 

"Sorry" Steve chuckled. 

"S'okay" Bucky chuckled, nestling closer to the cold body beside him. Steve turned on his side, facing his back to Bucky's chest. Slinging his arm over the small frame, Bucky gently pulls Steve flush to his body trying to warm the icicle next to him. 

Drifting off into a calm sleep, Bucky has his arm slung over Steve's small frame, keeping his back flush to his chest. Steve's breathing has gone to a semi-regular pace. Steve subconsciously rolls over so their chests are flush together. Bucky holds him close under the blankets to keep him warm and to silently let him know he's loved. 

Bucky is the first to wake up between the two boys. It is still daylight out but he can tell the day is soon coming to a close by the orange hues beginning to surround the buildings. He looks over to see Steve peacefully sleeping, his long eyelashes dusting over his flushed cheeks, his slightly dry nose from blowing his nose constantly, and a small glisten of drool at the corner of his mouth.