Not Yet

When he was six, he thought heaven was in the sky

He would tilt his head back as far as it could go and squint up, trying in vain to catch people wheeling about amongst the clouds on clear days. He envied them. It must be fun to play all day amongst the fluffy clouds, soft and white as cotton, clean as fresh laundry.

When he was twelve, he thought heaven was an undefinable, mysterious place beyond the stars.

It was a place where you stay there for infinity times infinity equals eternity and he couldn't wrap his head around this fact. It seemed more like a punishment rather than a reward. What were you supposed to do during all that time, if there was nothing else to do but just...exist? He thought heaven sounded incredibly boring.

When he was sixteen, he decided heaven was not real after all.

I mean, was there even a God in the first place? If so, why all the injustices? What did he do to deserve such a terrible malaise in the form of that dreaded shadow that now haunted his dark days, feeding off his doubts and insecurities? As far as he was concerned, there was only one truth: Life was nasty, brutish and short. Here today, gone tomorrow. What was the saying again? Dust and unto dust you shall return.

Namjoon often tried to overturn his hyung's cynical outlook on life, stating that although Life was indeed as Orwell described in his seminal novel, it was also the reason one could on the other hand appreciate the simplicity and beauty in everyday blessings. ("Like crabs", "Are you being serious right now?")

"Think of it this way," Namjoon explained,"if you experienced no hardship, no worries, no stress whatsoever since the day you were born, how can you tell that you are truly happy? Are you truly justified to say that you appreciate your fortunes if you have not been through adverse circumstances where you had to fight tooth and nail to retain what was yours?"

Yoongi did try to understand his dongsaeng, but sometimes Namjoon got too caught up in his philosophical ruminations and forgot that his audience had vastly simpler problems than existential dilemmas.

It did not help that Min Yoongi was also a man who held steadfastly to his views. Embracing changes to his code of beliefs did not come so easily and subsequently, Namjoon's words often went over his head.

*

World War 3 started whilst the general was peacefully eating his lunch in his PJ's and browsing on his PC, safely hidden inside his room from the hurricane systematically destroying the rest of the dorm (the maknaes had started some game which consisted of a lot of shouting and he didn't want to get involved).

He was comfortably tucked up between the sheets, slurping on his noodles when an incoming call on his phone interrupted his browsing session. Pausing the video, he leaned over and checked the caller ID, then almost overturned the bowl of food on himself in excitement.