prologue

Before you start reading take in notice this was my first book and it probably isn't the best. I hope you stick around anyway.
•••

"Subject A6 report to chancellors office immediately." In a crowded area, buzzing of activity and silent talking an electronic voice rang through the speaker, its artificial sound being followed by a distant buzz of a electrical device of sorts.

Knowing the massage was directed to me I stood from the metal chair that scraped on stainless gray floor, wondering how all that scraping hadn't already caused the floor to lose all that shine. Leaving the crowded area behind and walking  through hallways, brightly illuminated with florescent lights whose bright light bulbs that shone over my head made quite a difference between the hallway parts without any furniture and those whose shadows were visible on beige walls. Walls that were devoid of any pictures, as if giving just a little bit of life to them would cause a break down to happen, so they remained pure colours. In my mind they spanked a photograph of outside world. I've only seen it twice. No people, no animals and no plants. Buildings burned, lifeless. Sun so scorching hot it burned almost everything. Emptiness just as everything in here.

I thought about my life, my name...My name was Subject A6 now. W.I.C.K.E.D named us like that. Me and hundreds more of my age. It never mattered to them...the losses, kills, sacrifices. Cure was what mattered. A cure to disease we once tought was incurable. And so did I. Sending innocent kids into the maze just for a scientific purpose was beyond sickening. But it never stopped them. They never halted for a second to think about what were they doing. They never thought about another way...a better way, with less killing and destroying. And yet no matter how many people disagree with them they'll keep going on until they have wasted too much money, killed too many people and burned down every last hope for humanity.

•••

Soon after passing dozen of hallways and turning dozen of lefts and rights I arrived at plain white door. Not a single scratch was visible on them. Not a single dust grain. Doors were so perfectly polished it almost seemd like they were emitting sunshine. And yet one thing stood out. A name plate saying:
"Chancellor Ava Paige
CEO of W.I.C.K.E.D"

I stood before the door until, finally and hesitantly decided to knock. On the other side a quick 'yes' was heard and I pushed open the door. As usual there was a middle-aged woman sitted at her desk. Bunch of papers surrounded her, that I couldn't see what they displayed. White bookshelves were in the right corner of the room hiding another white door. Gray, furry carpet covered tiled floor and three white chairs were in front of the table.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yes. Sit down please." I obeyed her instructions and plopped myself in one of white chairs. She cleared her throat searching for right words.

"Now, you know what happens today. I will not longer stay on that topic, well mostly because I think you already know everything you need to know." Ava rambled on. "You are one extremely important part of this experiment. That's why we named you The Star. You'll help them get out of there, along with Teresa and Thomas. You'll be their loadstar." She put on a pathetic smile. "Do you have something to say? Maybe something I can do for you before you go?"

"No. I don't think so."

"Alright then. I'll have my doctors..."

"Wait, there actually is something." I cut her off. "Could you change the experiment a little bit. So you don't have to kill Thomas." Her smile disappeared as quickly as it came, making her lips colored with red lipstick curl into a straight line, just as a frown blurred her face.

"That I cannot do. What is decided is decided. We spent years planning this and I will not change it at the last second." She answered, more of insisted with her voice turned authoratitave and her arms crossed over her white dress.

"Thomas is a superior subject. He helped you create the maze. He definitely doesn't deserve to be killed this way." I said angerly and huffed out of frustration crossing my arms over my chest, copying her actions. That woman was unbelievable.

"I cannot and will not do that. Now that is settled. I suggest you go prepare yourself. I'll see you in a few months." Again her mouth shaped into a small smile, like she has forgotten about our previous conversation. She then grabbed another paper forgetting I was still in her office. I looked at her with sad smile and tears in my eyes, approaching the white door that hid her office. Putting my hand on doorknob I breathed in deep breath and turned to her one last time. Even though she did all of this she deserved credit. She cared for all of us. Deep down I knew she had good intentions. I knew she wound't do anything if it wasn't necessary.

"Hope we meet again." I said quietly while one tear rolled down my cheek. With that I pushed open the door and stood in the hallway. It buzzed with activity. Guards, that I passed on my way here were watching Ava's office. Doctors passed talking about killzone results they were getting. One kid no older than 13 walked in front of me with a doctor. He smiled at me, but behind it I could see sadness, regret and solitude. I returned him with an encouraging smile. He kept his head low not looking at the hallway but at his feet. Soon he and the doctor dissapeared from my sight leaving me with the guards and a heavy heart. I blinked away the tears slowly forming in my eyes and dipped my head lower as I stared at my shoes.
"Subject A6?" I lifted my head up and saw doctor Hoffman in front of me. "Chancellor Paige requested your preparation. Are you ready?"

"C-can I do one thing?" I suttered.

"Sure as long as it doesn't take much time." She agreed instantly, already stepping a few steps away from me.

"You can find me in control room."
She nodded her head before walking away. My pace speeded up, my new brown shoes hitting tiled floor as I made my way towards the gray door of control room. Slowly I pushed open the door, few scientists that sat in there lifted their gazes, lowering them moments later as they saw who entered. I sat in a black chair at far corner of the room, my fingers gently brushing against the screen of a high-tech computer in a search for one person. It took a few tries but when I finally succeded I saw Thomas taking Minho, happily eating his lunch and laughing. "I'll see you in a few hours. I know you'll have no idea who I am, but we'll meet again. Be safe, Tommy." I whispered to no one in particular while I copied my previous actions and switched the camera to the middle of the Maze. My eyes stared longingly at the screen, not wanting go away from this life. 'You'll be okay' were the words that repeated themselves in my brain like a mantra that was supposed to bring some courage to my already scared being. Unable to shake them off I left the room, feeling like some kind of yearn to go back is lingering behind me. Dr. Hoffman was already waiting for me when I stepped outside with a warm smile on her face. She put her hand over my shoulder leading me away. "Are you ready now?" She asked sympatheticly. I nodded at her question. Together we continued down many hallways and to one room. The preparation room.