Chapter {19}

There was the time I believed Glade was our home, the only one we'll ever have and the only one we can't escape. But not now, not now that I watched up close what has really became of it; at the far corner where once the Council Hall used to stand, lay the last of what was left after the Griever attack. A few walls that barely held the whole structure together, and a roof that in heaps of planks and timber, motionless against the wind and carelessly strewn lay as if nobody dared to touch them.

Fires lit in afternoon sun still swallowed the wood that previously made all other structures as the unbelievable heat stroke me as the unknown boy pushed me toward the door. Hands tightly bound behind my back, I had no other choice but to comply to Gally's will as he had decided to carry on with his plan. Of course, we had a plan of our own ready.

Before a huge gap between Maze door three poles stood menacingly, not even reaching half of the hight the walls in surrounding did. Confused and scared, barely being able to mouth or oppose to the will of their new leader, Gladers have made a small crowd around the sandy ground where wooden poles stuck out from. Approaching them, their gazes avoided mine, solemn expressions like nobody wanted to participate it that, yet had no other option.

Turning my head left, I watched as two Builders dragged Thomas toward the door, their jaws set and eyes blank of emotion while their dusty faces fought against nothing, not a track of guilt or question. Schruncing my face in downcast expression, browns knitting together I fought against the grip the boy behind had on me, desperately trying to break free and help Thomas.

They dropped him near the pole, standing a few steps away while Teresa and I stopped struggling as two boys that held us turned toward Gally. He observed us, fixed on our every move and emotionless, just before a pleading tone in Winston's voice cut him out. "Gally, it doesn't feel right, man." He shook his head, directing a sad look at the new leader.

"Yeah, what if Thomas is right. Maybe he can lead us home." Jeff continued, hands tightly formed into fists.

Gally both gave them a blank look, meeting their sorrowful gazes while his slow walk toward the ended as he started speaking in a calming voice. "We are home, okay?" He pointed at the faraway wall, that must've held all the names of Gladers still alive or dead that have been crossed. "I don't wanna cross any more names off that wall."

Taking in a deep breath, I decided not to let Gally's opinion affect me anymore. "Banishing us won't solve your problems. You'll just waste lives."

Pointedly, Gally shook his head, almost a small, menacing smile dancing on his lips. "No, but this isn't Banishing. It's an offering." My eyes widened at his words, that I couldn't believe what he was doing just to ensure Glade wouldn't fall apart completely as it was no going back to its previous state.

"What?" Teresa questioned urgently, fighting against the stronger grip of a boy whose hands bound hers who pushed her toward the pole, and so did the boy holding me, while I in hurry tried to bury my feet in the ground so he'd stop.

"Gally, what are you doing?" She cried out, and unlike me who has given up and saw there was no reason to fight them, squirmed as they tied her hands against the pole.

"You really think I'm gonna let Thomas back into the Maze after what he's done?" A sudden madness arose in Gally's voice, masking the previous calmness that slowly faded in loud booming. "Look around you! Look at our Glade!" He yelled, wildly gesturing to heaps of rubble and wood, fires that were in waves of orange and yellow heating up the already heated atmosphere. "This is the only way." Gally muttered under his breath, walking toward the entrance and facing Teresa and I. Twisting my head the best I could, my sight managed to catch Minho nodding slowly just before smirking a barely visible smirk.