Chapter {14}

After the strange circumstances of new girl's arrival, the Glade was left buzzing of nothing but that. Wherever you went, you could notice that nobody has been coping with it well; people abruptly stopped doing their jobs, some would aimlessly walk around as in search for answer, some like Chris tried to keep order, yet failed miserably.

I wasn't afraid to admit, the Glade was falling apart.

Maybe half and hour passed after the horrifying massage had been delivered to us, and I found myself sitting at the run-down counter where Nico hurriedly prepared food. To say it was in bad state wouldn't be a description good enough for it; everytime I leaned closer it would follow my actions and as if not secured tightly enough on floorboards, with squeaking sound come so close to falling down that it made me pull back.

"Aren't you supposed to be working?" Nico walked around another cook, so much taller than him that he only looked like a child compared to a towering figure.

"I have no idea." Once again, not learning from previous attempts I have tried, I leaned onto the counter that squeaked further down. "Thomas and Newt are dealing with new girl-"

"Woah, woah, back it up! New girl?" Nico abruptly stopped, almost ended crashed into the taller cook he was walking around ever since I arrived.

"Yeah. Chris is in constant freak-out state, Newt can't keep the Glade calm and Thomas is apparently the only Runner who still hadn't quit." I played with the loose sleave of my shirt, twisting the worn fabric around as threads that stuck out slowly began to loosen even more before I managed to pull them out.

"So, you think it's over?" Nico placed an energy bar onto the counter next to me, sliding it closer as he opted to find my eyes for any confirmation or answer to his previous question.

"The Glade? I think so. She's the last one. We're getting no supplies and no Greenies." Tightly gripping the shiny package, it took me a few tries before I managed to pry it open.

"I like it here. I mean considering this, the world could be pretty shucked out there." Nico tapped his fingers against the hard wooden surface, deep in thought as he stared at the undecided spot somewhere on the opposite wall that let a few gray rays of sunshine though the vertical barrier that was visible in between two planks.

"We can't stay here." My gaze turned toward the energy bar in my hand, observing it in cold silence before someone entered the fairly deserted kitchen area, footsteps ringing heavily behind me. As on cue, Nico lifted his head, face scrunching up in unnoticeable, barely in specks disgust that marred his black eyes. I took in the notice of his features, afraid to ask for whoever came.

"Erm...Aria, can we talk." I whirled back, meeting Chris's ocean eyes as he stood at the door. He lowered his head down after realising I have faced him and his shoulders slumped in defeat.

Despite Nico's obvious opposing, I couldn't help but to feel a sligtliest tingle of sadness for the teenager. "Uhh..Alright." Limping, I brushed past Chris and stepped into the Glade dressed in nothing but gray, as if it already fell apart, along with the spirits of Gladers.

I crossed my arms, breathing in deeply and partly in fear that however hard I tried to believe Chris could change, that wouldn't be possible especially considering he was against me for as long as I could remember.

"Look, I'll do anything to keep the Glade from falling apart. And that's why I-" His eyes narrowed to slits, as he took a shuddering breath and trembling, continued. "I need your help."

"I can't help you, Chris. I can't even trust you."

"I'm sorry, Aria. Please, I know you want to leave, but you have to understand Thomas is the reason why it all started happening, and that girl just follows everything." He took an unsure step toward me, gazing at me with the same look I have seen on him the day I worked for Bricknicks; deeply lost and good-natured. Not in any way I could find myself trusting him again, not after he had declared for many times I wasn't trustworthy enough, remembering that he had acted against me.