Chapter Thirty-Two

When I got to the Life Skills class that day, the room was nearly empty, save from a few early kids including a sleeping guy at the desk in the front row. I instantly grinned when I saw who it was, and snuck behind his back before whispering in his ear, "Boo."

Like I'd predicted, he jumped and blinked, completely disoriented. "Where's the fire?" he murmured, rubbing his eyes before spotting me next to him with a teasing smile on my face. "Oh. It's you," he sighed, dropping his head down onto his desk again. "What's up, Han?"

"Nothing," I sang, sitting on the desk next to him. "You look tired."

"You think?" Spencer grunted, his voice slightly muffled. He lifted his head up and turned to me, revealing two matching dark bags under his eyes. "I haven't had a break at all. It's so insane."

I smiled sympathetically, but didn't say anything because although I could relate to his frustration, I couldn't relate to the fact that he didn't have any week off baby duty.

He groaned. "I'm never having a kid."

I grimaced, patting him at the back. "I'm sure real life babies are better than these dolls. I remember my baby brother was so much more tolerable. Did you name your twins?"

"Yes, actually," he said, chuckling a little. "Tracey named them Tom and Jerry. What about you?"

"That's hilarious," I let out a laugh. "We named her Daisy."

Spencer grinned at me. "How's it going with Jonah, anyway? You guys still fight a lot?"

"Oh, it's been going great," I said. "We're actually now friends, kind of. It's really weird."

"You guys are friends?" he asked in surprise. "I a hundred percent believe that you're his first one. Definitely."

"I'm pretty proud of that," I said, just a bit smugly.

Not a minute later, the door opened, and in walked Jonah Gibbs himself. His backpack was slung over one shoulder as usual, and the earphones were stuffed into his ears, the music so loud I could hear the faint beats of the song he was listening to. Upon seeing me, perched on a random desk with my feet dangling over the floor, though, he plucked out his earphones and gave me a little smile in greeting.

I smiled back, ignoring the warmth that instantly spread all over my cheeks once I recalled how I'd woken up this morning with my phone pressed onto my ear. I was honestly embarrassed that I'd fallen asleep on him, especially since my brain and my mouth never worked properly when I was half-asleep. Who knew what I hadn't realized I'd said before I fell asleep?

But I greeted him anyways. "Morning, Gibbs."

"Morning," he replied simply, sitting down on his chair.

I dug into my bag and took out the pain relief patches I'd packed for him, and turned around to throw it toward him. "Catch," I called out, and he caught the patches with his hands in time.

He held them up. "Thanks."

"Sure," I said, before turning back to Spencer. He had a knowing smile on his face, and my cheeks reddened. "What?" I whispered defensively.

He wiggled his eyebrows at me and shrugged, before completely ignoring me to catch some sleep as students filled in the classroom.

[]

I'd been going to the diner after school with Jonah every day since the start of his baby duty. This time, though, the ride was a little bit awkward because I still couldn't really get over the embarrassment from last night, even though he wasn't bringing it up or anything.