Homestuck

Characters: Dirk Strider (left) and Jake English (right)

Genre: Fanfiction, modern au, hurt/comfort

Pairing: Dirkjake (Dirk x Jake)

Warning: strong language and mentions of a toxic relationship

Authors note: I've been meaning to write some Dirkjake fluff for a while now because they're both pretty adorable and I needed some content. Just a little story I wrote to get my mind off some things.

Enjoy.
-----------------------

"Evening pal," Jake called into the living room as he came in after a long day at work. He looked in to find Dirk sitting on the couch, tinkering with some sort of mechanism as he always did, a screw in his mouth.

He took it out, screwing it into the machine, "hey," he called back absentmindedly.

Jake put his suitcase down on the table, walking over to the couch, he wrapped his arms around the thinner man's chest, kissing his neck. Dirk in turn looked back to Jake, kissing his cheek.

"I'm going to go get out of these clothes, you should get ready for bed too chap," He said, looking to the clock on the wall, "it's getting late."

"Hmm," Dirk hummed in response, stretching his limbs with a groan. He followed Jake into the other room where Jake was getting dressed.

"You're so fucking handsome you know that?" He said as he flopped onto their shared bed.

The other boy slid on a tank top, "Well thank you, not too bad yourself there," he responded sleepily. Jake crawled into bed next to him, snuggling up to the taller man.

He felt Dirk wrap his arms around him as well, "How did work go today?" He asked, Jake shrugged against him, burying his face into Dirk's neck, "Fairly well I suppose."

Dirk rested his chin against the top of Jake's head. Jake dozed off, sleeping peacefully against the man of his dreams.

Well, his sleep was peaceful, until he woke up in the middle of the night, missing the familiar warmth of his other. He heard faint sniffling and rolled over, finding the blond haired man with an arm over his eyes, tears streaming down the sides of his face.

"Strider?" Jake called out to him as he scooted across the bed, over to the pale man. Dirk jumped, his breath hitching. Jake could tell that he was trying to stifle his tears, but his lip was still quivering.

"What's wrong chum?" He asked, concerned about the other man. He wanted to reach out and touch him, but he wasnt sure that now was the time to be doing that.

"I'm fine English, go back to sleep," he said, there was a shaken edge to his voice and it broke Jake's heart.

"Dirk..?" Jake now used his first name out of genuine worry and concern, "what's wrong?" Jake lifted the arm off of Dirk's face, revealing orange teary eyes, red from crying.

"You can tell me, Strider," he said, cupping Dirks face and turning it so he could see into his eyes. His eyes held a fear that shook through Dirk's body, and Jake rubbed a thumb underneath them to wipe away stray tears.

There was a silence.

"Why do you love me?" He asked in a broken tone and Jake's eyes widened in shock. This was what was running through Dirks mind?

"Dirk," he looked into the taller man's eyes, running a hand through his blond hair.

"I'm such a terrible, shit boyfriend. I put you through hell," Dirk's eyes were beginning to water again. It pained Jake to see him like this, voicing concerns about their relationship, knowing they had a rocky start.

"Dirk.." Jake said a little louder, he wanted this to stop.

"I put you through so much unnecessary fuckery for no goddamn good reason," he cried, tears now full force. His once strong facade crumbling before Jake.

"Dirk!" Jake yelled, finally catching his attention, Dirk heaved breaths and Jake looked into his eyes, tears pricking his own as well.

"We both did some tomfoolery that hurt one another, I wasnt doing a bang up job as a boyfriend either," he started, "but we changed, and you're so gentle and the most caring fellow I know, and I love you." He said, pressing a chaste kiss to Dirk's lips.

"You're smart, talented, caring, and you care for a nerdy fella like me," he smiled a toothy grin, "I'm the luckiest man in the world, and I wouldnt trade this for a goshdamned thing."

Next thing he knew Dirk's lips had collided with his again, this time much more passionate, but still very careful. His lips moved against Dirks and he wanted to convey as much love as he could through this.

"What did I do to deserve you?" Dirk asked, out of breath as they pulled apart.

"I could ask the same question," Jake smiled, kissing his cheeks before placing one more small kiss on his mouth.

Dirk put his face against Jake's chest sighing happily, while Jake gently traced his thumb over the scar on his neck.

Soon Jake felt the rise and fall of Dirks breathing even out, and he knew he was asleep. Jake followed into dreamland soon after.

...

He awoke to the scent of breakfast and his arms empty yet again. He sat up, moseying to the kitchen to find Dirk cooking him breakfast. It was an odd sight, considering that Dirk wasnt much of a cook.

He wrapped his arms around Dirk's torso, resting his head on Dirk's shoulderblade, "whats cooking? Smells dandy." He mumbled into his back.

"Pancakes, and I followed the instructions this time so I wouldnt fuck up," Dirk chuckled a little and Jake felt it reverberate through his back soothingly.

"I love you Jake," Dirk said, in all seriousness.

"I love you too Dirk."