1 | irene's story

- irene -

i was ready for today. today was the day— my day off.

i was the leader of the spy group, red velvet. we had daily and constant missions to defend the city and fight off the opposing side, the rebellion. we would get ranked highly based on our actions, so we always tried our best.

my team consists of son seungwan, park sooyoung, and kim yerim.

i couldn't ask for a better team.

i've always tried my best in the company, so i can try to regain peace.

when i was younger, i had an amazing life. i was practically spoiled and could have anything i want. but, i was clueless of my parents' secret- that they were spies. i never thought about how they would leave during meals at home or at restaurants, or how they would be gone for days without telling me anything.

well, my cluelessness was about to end. one day, my parents were driving home from an amusement park. we had a great time- riding all of the rides possible and eating to our hearts' content. i was only 7, so it was easy to please me. we were so busy talking to each other, that we didn't realize a car was heading straight towards us. it hit us. the crash sent me flying back, but thankfully, i was restrained from getting hurt by the seatbelt. however, my parents weren't as lucky. they both died.

when i woke up from the situation, i was inside of a car. now i know of this car as the rebellion car.

i could hear them speaking, but i assumed that they didn't think i was smart enough to understand them.

"what should we do with her?" one said.
"just drop her off home, she knows nothing about us anyways." another replied.

the order was obeyed and i was dropped off at my house. they treated me like a little kid, baby-ing me in every single way possible.

when i went inside, i immediately locked all of the doors in the house. i was terrified and had no idea of what just happened, or what to do in the situation.

i stayed in my bed for weeks trying to tell myself that it was a dream. i would get hungry, so i would try to cook. it didn't work. i never watched my parents cook, so i had no experience. instead, i microwaved ramen. it was the best i could do.

i couldn't process what had happened. it took me weeks to convince myself that it was true, and not a dream. when i finally did this, i gained the courage to go into my parents' bedroom. i knew they would keep their "work stuff" inside of it.

i went inside of their room and saw nothing. it looked like a regular bedroom, with a bed and decorations such as lamps and drawers. i was about to give up, until i saw a hidden room in the upper right corner of the bedroom. i entered the room and was astonished. i saw all of it- everything about my parents' company, sm company, and the opposing side, the rebellion.

sm company was full of people who wanted to save the world, recruited from high school and trained to become killing spies. my parents were one of them, and i wanted to be one too.

i forced myself to go to middle school and high school, so i could join the company. i walked to school first, then i drove myself to school as soon as i could drive. i even learned to cook my own food and live on my own.

after a week of my high school graduation, i received a call from sm company.

"hello?" i asked.
"ms. bae joohyun?" a voice answered.
"yes, speaking."
"hello, i am from sm company and we would like to recruit you as an agent."
"i understand."
"please come down to the agency, you will find the address in your parents' room."
"i have found it, thank you."
"thank you for your cooperation. it is appreciated."
they hung up first.

i was excited, but also wanted to seek revenge. i had to live with my parents' cruel death throughout the years, so it always brought me pain whenever i thought about it.

i arrived at sm company, where they instructed me to train and become an agent.

years have passed, to arrive at where i am now. i'm one of the best agents of my class and i don't take it for granted. i work hard and train hard, to eventually take down the people who killed my parents.

i'm extremely thankful for my team. they work as hard as me and have always listened to me. i listen to their concerns, but i don't tell them my own concerns. i'm too scared to show them my weaknesses, that they might think different of me as a leader if i show them my flaws.