2 | mission introduced

- irene -

"unnie! unnie!" joy squealed.
"what's up?" i responded.
"i have a date! with a boy!!!"
"that's great and all, but a boy-"
"alright thanks unnie!" she said as she skipped away.

i trust joy, but i'm worried that the boy might do something to her. joy loves attention, so he could ignore her and degrade her. she loves kindness and happiness, so she might get upset if the boy is rude and unthoughtful. joy is just too precious to me— a regular boy doesn't deserve her.

hours passed by, eventually leading up to the time of joy's date.

she left, squealing, and full of happiness as she saw the boy outside of the company doors. i had a million questions.

"who is this boy?"
"what does he do?"
"where did you meet him?"
"is he trustworthy?"
"does he know your secret?"

while joy went on her date, the rest of the team stayed in our dorm room inside of sm company, where we discussed missions and activities. we would talk about what we would do on our day-offs and our team strategies. we had fun, but it felt empty without joy. yeri was good at lightening the mood, but joy brought additional happiness, so it felt weird and unusual without her presence.

after a few hours of creating new strategies, we ran out of paper. i excused myself from the team to get more papers from the storage room. the storage room was pretty far away, but i hurried along to make the trip as-quick-as-possible. i retrieved a stack of papers and made my way back to the dorm.

when i came back, yeri was getting into her agent outfit, as if she was going on a mission.

"yeri? what are you doing?" i asked.
before yeri answered, wendy said, "she's going on a mission-"
"-to save joy unnie." yeri interrupted.
"save joy? for what reason?" i snapped.
"the rebellion just sent us a message, saying that they have joy. we can't just sit around." wendy replied.
"then why is yeri the only one going?"
"because she won't let me come with her."
"she won't let you come?"
"yeah, she wants to save joy."

i knew what joy meant to yeri. they were best friends, starting from middle school. i also knew that it would be hard to convince yeri that someone should go with her, since she wanted to become a stronger agent for the team. but, the thought of letting our maknae go out on a mission by herself to save another member was hard to accept. yeri was only 19, so she was still fairly young compared to the rest of the team. but, i let yeri do it. i hope that it will give her confidence.

"please, stay safe, yerim," i begged.
"i will," yeri said with a smile.

yeri left the dorm, leaving wendy and me by ourselves. we didn't have much to do, just small chores such as laundry and writing case reports. since i enjoyed doing the laundry, wendy and i agreed that i would do that for the remainder of the time that we were waiting for joy and yeri, while wendy wrote the case reports.

i really enjoy doing the laundry, because i couldn't really do it when i started training to be an agent. when i first started, i remember that i couldn't wash dishes or do normal chores. so, whenever i have the chance, i wash and iron the other members' clothes, as it makes me happy seeing that they're happy too, and that i could still do it. plus, the smell of fabric softener always made me happy.

i think that i was about halfway finished with doing the laundry, when my watch suddenly started beeping. sm company gave each team their own watches, so that the teams could easily contact each other in an emergency. my guess is that this beeping was because of that said, emergency.

i tried to listen to any sounds after the beeping, but all i heard was static. i figured that it was just an error, so i went back to doing the laundry. then, i heard another beep. this time, i heard calls for help over the speaker on the watch.

"pl-please unnie— he-help us."

it was yeri's voice.

i dropped to my knees.

my precious maknae just asked me for help.

why did i let her out by herself anyways??

lots of emotions hit me— such as anger, sadness, guilt, etc.

i ran back to the dorm and sought out wendy. i had tears falling from my eyes as i was telling her that our dearest maknae had asked me for help. at first, wendy was in confusion, but then her watch also started beeping- and yeri's voice was again, asking for help. wendy then got up and started getting ready, as if she was going on a mission. i did the same.

we used our red velvet team car on our way to the rebellion hideout. wendy and i were silent during the entire trip— my guess is that she was also thinking about yeri and joy. as we passed more and more buildings, all that i could think about was the maknaes' safely. please, i hope they're unharmed.

when we arrived, we stayed in the car to change into our disguises. we dressed up as janitors, since no one would ask for confirmation if we dressed up like that. we also wore hats and face masks, just to make sure that no one would recognize us. we placed these things on top of our normal mission outfits, so we wouldn't get weighed down if we fought anyone.

the disguise worked. we were able to make it through the first, second, and third floor without being noticed. i knew where to find yeri and joy, since they were part of sm company. because of that fact, all of the rebellion members would speak about them. for instance, as wendy and i were walking, one boy said, "i heard those hot women from sm company are here, in the activity room on the third floor— i think." i silently let out a chuckle, since he gave more than enough information for us to find joy and yeri.

when we reached the activity room, we let go of our disguises and dropped them by the floor. then, we busted into the room and pointed our guns at the rebellion members inside. we didn't hesitate to shoot— killing them all. we were trained like that, to have no mercy with the rebellion. i always felt like that was too harsh and too foul, but i couldn't risk my 'career' as an agent.

wendy and i untied joy and yeri from their individual restraints and noticed that they were both bleeding— excessively. everything was happening too fast, so i didn't think about anything else. we thought that we were safe and were about to leave, until we heard a woman say,

"we aren't done yet."