02 - the oak tree

the next morning winnie awoke, the distant sun beat through her window casting shadows round the room. she skipped into the kitchen and pulled a saucepan from the draw, laying her ingredients across the counter: eggs, flour, and milk. pouring the contents into the pan, alwyn watched the pancakes form before her eyes. aunt bessie wondered in, nose twitching in the air, "smells delicious" she commented and pulled blueberries, honey, sugar and syrup from the cupboards. creating a delicious display across the table, the two sat gawking over the pancakes. one by one winnie stuffed them into her open mouth until her stomach could take no more.

alwyn stood in front of her mirror, buckling her weapons belt around her waist. her uniform was dark, the lightweight leather allowed swift and free movement as she fought. she stuffed the butterfly knives into her belt and pressed the gladius into its sheath on her back. winnie wrapped a charcoal black cape over her shoulders and pulled her thick hair into a ponytail. hauling the hood over her head she began to hop out the door, tying her shoelaces.
"bye bessie" she called, "im going training, i'll see you later!"
"be careful alwyn!" she replied.

                                     *****

winnie darted deep into the woods until she reached the large oak tree at the centre of the forest. winding roots weaved into the ground creating delicate patterns in the soil. across the trunk were markings carved deep into the wood, symbols that would have just looked like doodles to the untrained eye. she pulled an angelus from her belt and traced over a circular engraving. the angelus was a tool made of lux lapis (light stone) created by the angels as a gift to the hunt, they were used to create new markings and activate the powers of old ones. the circle glowed amongst the shadows of the forest as the bark peeled away from the oak tree. before her eyes stood a stone archway wrapped in vines and scattered with beautiful yellow flowers. she wandered through the familiar entrance, plucking a buttercup from the ground and placing it in her cloak pocket. a tall figure strode towards her, his messy rose gold hair gleamed in the sunlight. a bow was clenched in his right fist and he had a quiver packed with arrows strapped to his back alongside a sabre. instinctively, her hands hovered over the hilt of her butterfly knives as the doorway to the outside world closed. she pushed one foot back slightly, giving her a more stable position, slightly crouched. the boy grabbed an arrow from his quiver and swiftly poised it alongside his bow, ready to take aim. a smile escaped arwyns lips as she charged. he stretched the arrow back till he could no more, pointing the tip towards his target. not once did his arm shake or wobble. adrenaline coursed through arwyns veins like a sudden burst of energy from the heart. without hesitation he released his grasp on the weapon, sending the arrow sailing through the air somewhat effortlessly. winnie unsheathed her butterfly knives, raising them to the sky. the blades glistened like stars in the sunlight. with one swift movement, she split the arrow in two. it fell to the ground making a little clunk. she smirked, facing her rival. her arms reached up and pulled down her hood. the boy hooked his bow over his chest freeing his hands as he reached for his sabre. winnie struck forward with her twin knives, spinning and slashing at the air, but every time his sabre would block her attacks. she struck again aiming high. as he reached up to defend himself she pushed her boot into his stomach causing him to buckle. his grip on the sabre loosened and she knocked it from his hand. he fell against the ground, raising his hands in submission.
"you win! you win!" he laughed pushing the hair out of his eyes. arwyn stashed the butterfly knives back into her belt as he regained his breath, "flippin heck".
winnie reached out to pull her friend from the ground, "morning mikey" she smiled, freckles dotted her cheeks like constellations. she reached deep into her pocket and handed him the buttercup, "a peace offering" she teased.