04 - dizziness

inhaling deeply through her nose, winnie savoured the scent of the musky forest. she tied her shoes to her bag and waltzed about barefoot. it wasn't good enough to just walk through the wood - she had to become a part of it. pushing her feet into the ground, arwyn let the earth crumble between her toes and crushed the leaves in her hands, staining them with the scent of pine. her fingers brushed along the rough bark of every neighbouring tree. mikey watched her with a smile pressed on his face, seeing her happy was what he loved the most. the sun broke through the trees in columns of light that projected brightness in small parts of the forest.
"somewhere over the rainbow
bluebirds fly
and the dreams that you dream of
dreams really do come true" michael sang as winnie twisted and turned through the maze of trees. her lips lifted upwards and her dimples crinkled, a smile stretching across her freckled face. his voice was smooth and clear and quiet yet, so powerful. it was soothing.. you don't really calls guys voice beautiful, but his was. a warm glow of happiness radiated from her skin. she was a ray of sunshine.
"someday, i wish upon a star
wake up where all the clouds are far behind me
where trouble melts like lemon drops
high above the chimney top
that's where you'll find me"  arwyn continued. her voice was sweet like honey dripping from her tongue. she gestured to mikey, pointing her fingers in her best friends direction and calling him forward. he followed her orders, joining her underneath the canopy of green and they danced to the bird song.

*****

"aunt bessie" michael called as he pushed open the door to the little cottage, "you're favourite is here" he teased. bessie hopped into the kitchen grinning with glee.
"michael! where have you been?!" she smiled grabbing both of his cheeks in her palms and squishing his face together as if it were playdough. winnie's heart warmed watching her two most loved ones, safe and happy.
"now" she said, straightening her apron, "what can i get the pair of you for dinner"
michael fidgeted slightly, not wanting to reveal the tasty treat he had in mind.
"what about some of my special aunt bessie chicken pie" she suggested, clapping her hands together.
"it's like you read my mind" michael smiled, relaxing his shoulders.

as michael and aunt bessie nattered away, arwyn wandered absentmindedly to her bedroom. she removed her heavy gear, packing away her weapons into drawers and cupboards. the sweet scent of roasting vegetables and creamy chicken carried through the air, filling the cottage with delightful smells. winnie's mouth watered, hunger gnawing at her stomach like an uproar in her belly. quickly, she pulled on some thick navy joggers and cosy sweater, the colour of pebbles on the beach. her hair was dark like summer baked mud, the earthy tones complimented her fair skin. it curled in ringlets, crowning her head in an untamed manor.
"dinner!!" bessie called from the kitchen.

michael crammed in the pie thick and fast as if it were going out of fashion, consuming the meal that had taken an hours preparation in minutes. politely, he dabbed at the corners of his mouth with a napkin.
"delicious" he finally said before inquiring about dessert. bessie looked down at her still full plate in amazement, mikey just chuckled.
"there is ice cream in the fridge, help yourself" aunt bessie replied, poking at a pea with her fork.

*****

the following morning arwyn awoke. every time she closed her eyes a scene was painted across her eyelids, so vivid, as if it were in front of her. the butterflies arose in her stomach, beating against her skin with anxiety. she rubbed her eyes repetitively.. desperately. the image would not go away.

"morning butterfly" aunt bessie smiled, kissing winnie upon the apple of her cheek.
"wh-what?" she replied, blinking harshly.
"i just said good morning" bessie stared at her quizzically, "are you okay?"
winnie clutched the side of the table, her hand pressing lightly on her forehead.
"is everything alright?" michael yawned, peeling himself from the sofa.
arwyn swayed slightly, her vision slowly clouding as she collapsed on the kitchen floor. a sharp ringing pierced her ears and she faded out of reality.