03 - blood and sweat

"arwyn blackthorn!" a voice called from the shadows. mikey's jaw dropped slightly as crystal came into view. she was leant against a wooden beam holding up the repair tent. sparks flew from her chakrams as she grinded the blades together, sharpening them. advancing into the light, she strode towards them. michael watched as her hips swayed..
"think you have a bit of dribble there" winnie chuckled.
crystal planted her feet firmly into the ground, "you're late" she criticised. being arwyn's tutor gave her strict control over her training schedule, "lets get going". she spun on her heels and marched forwards, her purple hair whipping in the wind.
"what a woman" mikey sighed.

                                     *****

sweat beaded around michael's hair line as he drove his fists into the punch bag ruthlessly. purple bruises dispersed across his knuckles as they split, staining the material red. arwyn approached slowly having returned from her training. she tapped him lightly on the shoulder, "mikey?" ..he spun, swinging his fists. winnie had ducked just in time, "easy tiger!" she urged, straightening herself up again.
"sorry, was still in the zone" he explained, pressing light punches against winnie's arms. she stared at his bloody knuckles and sighed, "you didn't tape your hands up you idiot!" grabbing them and placing his in hers. she ran her fingers across the raw skin, feeling saddened. she didn't like to see her friends hurt, even if it wasn't that serious.
"there is no need, we heal quickly anyway.. in about 5 seconds that will all be gone" he smiled, holding her chin to stop her from frowning.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1.. she counted. the bruising shrank as if it were being absorbed and the skin sealed itself back together. the only evidence michael had suffered any injury at all was the dried blood crusted on his fingers.
"still... we aren't numb to the pain" arwyn huffed pinching his ear tight.
"ouch!" michael whined, gritting his teeth at the pain spreading through his throbbing lobe.
"tell me you're not going to cause yourself any unnecessary pain again" she demanded, still grasping his ear.
"okay! you can let go now!" he laughed.
winnie drew him closer so that he was looking directly into her eyes, "you promise?"
michael drew his hand up, placing it over his heart "i promise".
she released her grip and raised her chin to meet his eyes. gently, she tucked some loose hair behind his ear. he wrapped an arm around arwyn's shoulder and pulled her close, gently rubbing her back. his embrace was warm - it was probably the heat radiating from his sweaty body after hours of training. she pressed her face into his chest, letting her frame fall against his, it was familiar and comforting. quietly, mikey chuckled to himself.

                                     *****

michael and winnie plodded back through the gateway, leaning against each other with exhaustion as they walked. the bark from the great oak tree sealed behind them and the hunt training ground faded away.
"banana?" mikey drew the yellow fruit from his belt like a gun, "for energy" he explained.
winnie thanked him, taking the banana in her hand and peeling it.