Chapter One: The Fallout

"Ben?"

I woke up to hear my best friend yelling my name frantically, as my dream ended suddenly.

"What?" I asked, quickly hearing the sounds at my bedroom door.

" They got in Ben. I couldn't stop them."

"Couldn't stop WHO?!" I shouted, eager to hear the exclamation for this sudden intrusion.

"The people. They want to know what you're gonna do about the new Kaiju."

"Man, I'm the new guy! Why should I
know about this!"

"Because you're still in the program. You should know how to please your department."

"Department?" I asked.

"They changed the system a little bit while you were out. You control the group of recruits that are in the same place you are."

"That shouldn't be too bad. This city's pretty empty."

"Still don't know why they actually made their base in North Dakota." I said jokingly.

"You've been out for a while, actually." he told me.

"How long?" I asked, completely forgetting about how I'd gotten from my mission in Japan go back at my house.

"It's been three weeks. There's been some major discoveries that have happened. The people are upset that you've been absent."

"That's not my problem!" I exclaimed loudly, making sure the mob heard me.

"I already booked a flight for us to go to the base in Mongolia."

"Why?" I said, a little mad that all this was happening just as I had woke from my brief coma state.

"They've discovered a new Kaiju, Ben."

"Really?" I was very intrigued now, wanting to learn more about the situation immediately.

"He's bigger than all the others, man. You don't want to get too involved, I sure don't."

"All I want to know is how we're gonna get outta the situation we're in now!" I said, a bit nervous from hearing the angered cries of the people.

My friend opened the bedroom door, revealing the crowd of about twenty people in the hallway, arguing and rustling to get closer.

"Hey!" He yelled, somewhat calming the anxious group down.

"Ben fought hard to bring the last Kaiju down, and for his first fight, I thought he fought damn good!"

It was always nice getting complimented by a veteran like my friend, but he sounded very confident that he knew what he was doing. As he negotiated with the people, I slowly crept past them, and swept up my keys from the basket they were in.

I yelled for my friend to join me, as he ran through the open front door to the car that was still parked in the driveway.

I started the car, and we were both down the road in seconds. I avoided the rocks and fruit being thrown at the vehicle, as my companion explained why they were as upset as they were.

"They're mad that you were absent in representing our base, as you are the only guy in North Dakota that works in the business. They thought they could count on you to help them in defending the US against Godzilla."

"Who?" I asked.

"A Category 5 threat, or as Japan calls it, Godzilla. The most feared Kaiju of them all."