Prologue - 845

Levi and I were both in his office, going over some paper work Erwin wanted us to finish  before the expedition. I sat on a chair, tapping my foot against the wooden floor, while Levi sat in his desk, writing.

"Stupid paperwork," I grumble silently, tossing the paper I finished writing on onto the table.

I stood up, moving over to his clean desk, and sit on the opposite side he was working on, facing the door. Normally he would be shouting at me for making the desk dirty, but he only continued writing the reports he was working on on the right side of the desk.

"Levi, this is going to be our last time together inside these walls," I say close to a whisper.

His fist hit the desk at full force, I'm surprised the wood didn't break under the force. I flinched, not completely taken aback by the loud action.

"Don't say that. Together we are the best fighters this team has. We will both survive, even if it means most of those sorry bastards will end up dying"

I turn myself around, leaning forward on my hands, my face close to his. His eyes avoided mine, staring downwards at his lap.

"Two of the best will enter the fight, but only one will be good enough to make it out alive"

I hooked a finger under his chin, keeping myself propped up with my left hand. His dark blue eyes looked up into mine and I smiled weakly.

"You keep yourself alive, we both know with this secret of mine I can't last much longer"

I was about to lean in and place my lips on his, but that thought was interrupted. Someone knocked on the door and I sat back in my spot, away from Levi and facing the door. Levi told them to come in. Commander Erwin Smith, opened the door, his icy blue eyes looking at Levi then me.

"Good, I caught you both," he said, closing the door behind himself then approaching us.

"What do you want?" Levi asks.

"I want you two to monitor the preparations"

"Why not get someone else to do that?"

"The others are busy with other tasks I assigned to them. You two will make sure everything is prepared properly"

I nod while Levi only sighs. Erwin leaves, the room filling with silence. I jumped off of the table, fixing my hair into a ponytail. Levi fixed the papers, making sure they were neatly stacked on top of each other.

"I will make sure you live through this, Captain Galilea," Levi says.

"You make sure you live through this, Captain Levi," I say.

After preparations we headed out, a giant group of men going out to stop Titans. As soon as we found the Titans it was a blood bath. Men dying everywhere, men who weren't even qualified to use the gear given to them.

While men were dying all around me I begun fighting off every Titan I caught sight of. Too many Titans were approaching me, I couldn't keep up. Just as I sliced the neck of one, another grabbed me in its large hand. I squirmed, trying to break myself free by cutting off its fingers, but I was held too tightly.

I gave up and let my head hang low as it bit off one of my legs. I screamed bloody murder, wishing it would finish me off quickly instead of eating me piece by piece. But it never got the chance because Levi detached the hand from the Titan, catching me before I fell to the ground. He set me down, proceeding to take out each of the Titans, then rushed back to me.

"Galilea, can you move?"

"Levi, you know about my regeneration powers. Leave me be and go save someone else," I say with a smile.

He looks around, searching for something. "I need to get you somewhere out of the Titan's reach"

"There's no time. I can move myself, go!"

He gripped my hand tightly, his eyes looking slightly scared. "I'll see you when this is over"

All I did was smile as he let go and ran off, going for another nearby Titan. My head fell back, tears forcing their way out of my eyes. I was going to be eaten, even if I had been moved somewhere else, no doubt about it.

The loud steps of a Titan started growing louder as one approached me, its eyes catching sight of me. I didn't even try to move away, knowing that if this Titan were to eat me I would for sure be dead.

"Galilea!" Someone shouted.

I opened my eyes, finding one of my brothers, Edik, hovering above me. He smiled once he saw me respond, looking over at where the Titan was. I tilted my head so I could see and found my other brother, Alek, killing the Titan.

Edik picked me up and ran towards his horse, my brother following and landing on his horse. I sat behind Edik, my arms wrapped around his waist tightly.

"Where are we going?" I ask him.

"Somewhere safe. They're going to turn on you eventually, this is the only way to make sure we all live"

We raced past a sight that no one should have to live with burned in their brains. Blood from men and Titans everywhere. Dead men laying on the ground in piles or in pieces, just waiting to be eaten by some scavenger Titan or bird. Dead bodies of Titans beginning to emit steam as they dissolved into nothing.

And I couldn't even bring myself to hide my face from the even worse sights of watching the living die.

We were prepared for a fight, but we were not ready for a war. There were so many men, all of them soldiers. This battle we entered was a war, one most of us couldn't foresee.