Chapter 8 - What I Loved Most

"Now, can you answer my questions?"

"It depends on what they are"

I look back down at my hands. "What is going to happen to my brothers?"

"I can't tell you that"

"Why not? I'm a captain, I'm allowed to hear this information"

His hand hooked underneath my chin, forcing me to look up and at him. His face was close to mine, making my heart start beating more quickly in my chest. This was how I felt years ago, but I didn't think I'd ever feel nervous like this again.

"You know how matters can get worse when family is involved. You don't need to know"

"Are you going to kill them? Are they going to be locked up in prison?"

He drops his hand, standing up. "I have reports I need to work on"

"Not this late at night," I say, then yell angrily. "Answer me!"

He only glanced at me from the corner of his eye. "We need them"

"Why do you need my brothers? Isn't it enough to have me here? I can do everything the both of them can do, I can kill Titans and..."

He approaches me, crawling towards me on the bed, making me back away when he started getting too close. I backed myself up against the wall, and he was right in front of me. He slammed his hands on either side of my head against the wall.

"What happened to you?" He asks, looking down at me since he was slightly higher up now. "Why are you like this?"

"I was forced to leave what I loved most," I whisper, looking away.

Something flashed clearly through his eyes, but it was gone as quick as it came. His eyes narrowed as he smirked, hooking a finger under my chin to make me look at him.

"And what was that, your position as a captain? Almost becoming the commander?"

I don't think before answering the question. It was hard to tell what I thought about him now, and what he thought about me, but we'd get nowhere if we kept avoiding the truth.

"You"

The smirk on his face dropped, but he kept his eyes trained directly on mine, not moving from the position he was in. I closed my eyes, hoping that since he had the truth he'd get off of me and leave me alone. But he didn't move.

All of a sudden I felt something warm pressed against my lips. When I opened my eyes I saw Levi, his eyes closed and lips against mine, and my eyes widened largely.

He pulled away, keeping the distance close. "I never got to kiss you when I had the chance"

I open my mouth to say something but he kissed me again, making me unable to say anything. I was close to giving in, but I knew I couldn't.

"Or tell you I loved you," he whispered against my lips.

My breath got caught in my throat and his eyes scanned mine for a moment. He looked like he was waiting for me to say something, but right now I was utterly speechless.

"Your attitude has changed, but what about your feelings? Or have you remained the same like I have"

"I-I'm unsure"

His hand brushed through my hair, cupping my head as he kissed me one final time. But this time he didn't pull away to speak, no, because I had finally given in. I closed my eyes, allowing my lips to move in sync with his.

But there was no picking up where we left off. That was something that couldn't happen. This thing between us was something that couldn't happen. Yet I hoped, wanted, needed it to happen.

I briefly pulled away, flipping our positions so he was leaning back against the wall and I was straddling him. His arms snake around my waist, keeping me close to him. My hands went behind his neck, deepening the kiss.

Levi's hands started fiddling with the edge of my shirt and I didn't think twice about slipping it off and tossing it to the side. Then he removed his shirt that he recently put on.

We were both too caught up in the moment to think properly. And I knew, he probably did as well, that there was no turning back once I stood up and slid off my pants.

"Erwin, Levi, there's something I need to tell you, about myself. I had to keep it a secret, but if I keep it secret any longer you won't trust me at all"

"What is it?" Erwin asks. "Does it involve the tests your father did on himself?"

"How did you know?"

"There's reports of it, he was a scientist trying to give us an advantage when it came to the Titans, but his research was lost along with him. Now there's only you and your brothers"

"Only Edik has the abilities, Alek is a normal person"

"What abilities?" Levi asks.

"I have certain attributes similar to those of a Titan. Regeneration and abnormal strength"

"Does that mean you're part Titan?"

"I wouldn't know. What I do know is that I can't let these abilities go unused and wasted. That's why I chose this regiment, because of this advantage I can kill more Titans"

"You're on our side?" Erwin asks.

"What other side is there for me to be on?"

I opened my eyes, noticing sunlight leaking in through the window. It was morning. I was hugging the waist of a shirtless Levi, my head resting on his chest. Levi's arm was around my waist, his warm hand laying on my bare hip.

I pushed myself up on my elbow, looking at the man I had been laying on. He was awake, and when I moved I saw him looking at me. Some of my hair fell in my face and he tucked it behind my ear, a small and extremely rare smile on his face.