Chapter 1

Everything happens for a reason. You must have heard that a lot from people and I guess it's true. Honestly I never dreamt that I would be a criminal, even if the crimes were committed for good reasons. But how did I end up here? I was supposed to be on vacation with mom and dad when they met with an accident and died...or at least that's what I thought.

*knock*

"Who is it?" I called out.

"Miss Arrington, please open the door. Something very unfortunate has happened!" said someone outside my hotel room in London.

I was on vacation with mom and dad and they had gone out shopping for some friends when I heard somebody knocking on the door of our hotel suite.

"What happened?" I asked looking the normally cheerful receptionist's pale face.

"Miss Arrington, I don't know how to say this but your parents are in the hospital right now. On their way back they met with a terrible car accident and have very less chances of survival. We must rush to the hospital immediately."

For a second I thought that I must be dreaming and just stared at the lady's face when I lost my balance and hit my shoulder slightly on the door frame. The pain I felt confirmed it was not a dream. "What are we waiting for? Take me there now!"

The doctors said that both my parents had broken multiple bones and damaged very sensitive parts of their body. Dad's stomach had been stabbed by some broken part of the car and Mom was in coma. I couldn't help the tears that rolled down my face. Why did this have to happen to me?

I had been crying continuously for 2 days when my the doctors informed me that my father had passed away and my mother is in a very bad condition. I didn't know what to do now I had been crying in the arms of the receptionist, who had been very supportive, for the rest of the day a week later my mother passed away. The receptionist suggested sending me to a foster home but I refused.

"But Miss Arrington your parents..." she started but I cut her off.

"In a few months I'm gonna turn 18 and I'm capable of looking after myself."

According to my parents will I would inherit their property when I turned 18 but things weren't that easy I had no relatives on my mom's side and my dad's family had taken over everything we owned. I traveled back to New York where I lived and wondered what to do next. I was allowed to go back inside our house and bring some of my clothes and things and then I was thrown out.

I had been sitting in a park watching little kids play while mourning the death of my parents. I didn't realise it but I had fallen asleep on the park bench when a stranger approached me.