Luna

Second chapter. Let me know how you guys are feeling about the story so far?

We ran for about an hour before we reached a neatly trimmed lawn that surrounded what Ricky referred to as the cabin.

The cabin was most definitely not a cabin at all, but a modern mansion decorated to look like a cabin. It towered three stories tall, with bright yellowy-gold lights glowing in almost every window of the log-made monstrosity. Beyond it, hidden within the trees of the surrounding forest, I could spot tens of other miniature versions of what I assume is the pack house.

Waiting on the wrap around porch for our return was a petite woman with long dark brown hair and a small button nose. The moment her eyes locked on us, she smiled warmly. The two small pups by her side ran eagerly towards their father. The youngest couldn't have been any older than five, with his cheeks still full of baby fat, and his sister didn't look more than a year older.

The males all shifted, and I followed suit, trying not to act too self conscious around a group of wolves that all seemed rather comfortable naked.

"Jaime, my love, would you mind grabbing Selene some clothes?" Ricky turned to me with his two young pups in his arms. "Or, better yet, could you take her inside? I can sense everyone is curious and I don't want to overwhelm her."

The Luna smiled and gestured for me to follow her, leading me into the large home and out of the bitter cold. She wrapped a blanket over my shoulders the moment I stepped through the doorway and onto the soft rug in the entryway.

"Ricky said that you grew up in the city?" Her voice was soft and welcoming, like the smoke curling up off of a burning fire.

I nodded, holding the blanket tighter around my much smaller body. The aftershock of standing for so long in the snow finally hitting my body in its human form.

"Yeah. My mother runs an occult shop with a few of her friends. She's always been into the supernatural."

Jaime chuckled. "I'm sure she was very excited to be raising a pup of her own, then?"

I shrugged. "For the most part, I think she was. She always tried her hardest to get me to read all of her books, but-"

The Luna smirked. "There's far too much history and legend to fit us wolves into a single story. And even the best researchers can only glimpse a small fragment of the lives we lead here in the forest. It's good that you read, though, many wolves don't have the patience." She guided me down a long hallway to a set of black double doors. "Ricky reads, all too often, if you ask me. It makes him a stronger Alpha." She ushered me into the dimly lit room, shutting the doors behind us.

"How old are you, Selene?"

I sat up a little straighter. People were always mistaking me for younger than I am because of my size. "I'm nineteen, almost twenty."

Her jaw dropped. "Almost twenty and unmated, fuck." She laughed, mostly to herself, and I tried not to look too puzzled.

Was finding your soul mate really such a simple process? Were most wolves really off the market by my age? I didn't see how that was very plausible.

"Before you enter into our way of life with any misconceptions, allow me to clear up some things." Jaime sat down on the king sized bed and patted the spot beside her. "Come get comfy, little wolf." I sat down with some hesitancy, and Jaime reached for me like she would her own pup.

I allowed her to pull me up next to her against the headboard, and she let out a soft pur.

"The Goddess is the mother of all wolves." She began, her voice taking a more melodic note. "She creates each and every one of us with a special purpose in mind, with a destiny. She decides who will nurture us as pups, where we will travel, and who we will meet. Nothing is beyond her sight."