Nora

For some reason, I couldn't get to sleep Monday night. No matter what I tried, it just wasn't happening. Around 2:00, I heard Francisco crying out, but it soon stopped. It must be nice to have your every need met instantly. Life as a baby must be pretty simple. Eat, sleep, poop, cuddle, cry. I wished my life were that simple.

I was really starting to miss my mom. When we were together, we didn't cross paths during the week a whole lot. She worked days as a grocery store clerk, then bartended at night. She was rarely around to tell me to go to bed so I spent most evenings parked in front of the TV eating junk food until I fell asleep. But still, I missed the good times. When I would wake up with a little treat and a note next to my pillow. When she was in a good mood and we had a dance party in the kitchen. I didn't realize I still needed her so much.

Suddenly, I felt lonely. I pushed the covers off me and tiptoed down the hallway. The bedside lamp was on in Francisco's room, so I wandered over and leaned against the door frame. Vanessa was changing Francisco, and she noticed me at the door.

"Nora?" She said. "What are you doing up? Did Francisco wake you?"

"I can't sleep," I admitted, feeling groggy.

"Well, neither can this guy," she said as she buttoned up his pajamas. Vanessa picked him up and started walking with him around the room a bit, patting his back. "Do you have something on your mind?"

I shrugged. "I kinda miss my mom," I admitted.

"I bet," she said as she sat down on the rocker. "It was just you and her for thirteen years."

I nodded and took a seat next to the rocker and leaned against it. "I miss her but I don't want to go see her in prison again."

"I don't blame you," Vanessa told me. "I'm sure it's very hard to see someone you love locked up. I can't imagine."

I liked that she didn't try to say she understood. She knew she wasn't aware of what my life had been like before coming here. She didn't try to pretend it was all butterflies and rainbows. I felt her reach down and gently stroke my hair. For some reason, it brought tears to my eyes. This woman wasn't related to me at all, and yet she was so caring and loving towards me. I'm sure she wasn't planning on having some random teenager show up in her life when she was busy with two young children. I wasn't part of her plan, but she was making me part of her life.

She must have heard me sniffling, because she said, "Oh, Nora."

Vanessa stood up and gently placed Francisco back in his crib. She took my hand and guided me to stand up. I accepted her hug and let my tears fall.

"It's okay," she whispered. "Let it out."

Eventually, she guided me into the master bedroom and pulled back, holding my face between her hands. "You've been through so much, Nora. And you've been so strong."

"No I haven't," I protested.

"You have," she raised her eyebrows at me. "You're trying so hard, and you're becoming part of this family. Francisco and Sebastian adore you. I adore you."

"Why?" I asked, as she removed her hands and took my hands in hers.

"Beneath that tough exterior and that mouth of yours you're a sweetheart," she told me. "And you just need a fair chance. I'm so glad you're with us."

"I'm glad I'm here too," I admitted softly. She scooted back on the bed.

"Come. Lay down," she told me, sensing I didn't want to be alone. I followed her and curled up right next to her as she stroked my arm gently. Finally, I fell asleep, snuggled up against Vanessa.