Lin

I was anxious to get home, but of course my flight got delayed.  I tried to make the best of the extra time at the airport.  I hopped on my laptop and got some work done.  Finally, I boarded my flight and a few hours later, I was back in New York City. 

Vanessa hadn't called me crying at any point, so that was a good sign.  When I walked through the door, though, I could tell she was glad I was back.  Sebastian instantly ran up to me and launched himself into my arms.  I showered him with kisses.  I'd only been gone for three days but I'd missed them all terribly.

Vanessa walked up and gave me a hug and a kiss.  "I'm glad you're back."

"I'm glad I'm back too," I admitted as I set Sebastian on the floor.  "Everything okay?"

"Fine," she said as we both collapsed on the couch.  "Nora's moping in her room.  She got detention today for too many tardies, so I took her phone away for the evening."

I nodded, not surprised she hadn't managed to completely stay out of trouble.

"We did have a bit of a breakthrough Monday night, though," she admitted, and I raised my eyebrows.  "She was up in the middle of the night because she missed her mom.  We had a good talk and she ended up sleeping in our bed."

"Wow," I said, surprised.  It was nice to see that Nora was slowly opening up.  Vanessa and I chatted a bit more, and then I decided to go say hi to Nora.  If I expected a warm welcome, I would have been disappointed.

"Hey, kiddo," I said, walking in.  Her room was an absolute mess.  I stepped over clothes and books to reach her desk chair.  "How's life?"

"Fine," she said from where she read a book on her bed.  She sighed and set it face down.

"I brought you back something," I told her, reaching for my pocket.  She sat up a little, somewhat surprised.  It wasn't much – it was a pack of little notebooks with various California landmarks on them.  She seemed touched, and took them from me with a smirk.  She ran her finger over the little ribbon holding them together.

"Thank you," she said softly.  I wasn't sure what it was, but she was very melancholy.

"Are you okay?" I asked her gently, leaning forward on my elbows.

She stared off into the distance for a moment, then mumbled, "No".

I was surprised she was actually admitting to me that she wasn't okay.  I pushed myself up and sat on her bed next to her.  "Tell me what's wrong.  Is it your mom?"

"I don't know," she admitted, her voice weary.  "Just everything."

I nodded, not prodding.  "You've got a lot going on right now," I admitted.  "But you've got a home full of people who love you and care about you.  No matter what, you're safe.  You understand that, right?"

She didn't say anything; just stared at the floor.

"How about we go do something fun," I suggested.  "We could go take a walk or get some fro yo?"

The suggestion of fro yo seemed to catch her attention.  I told Vanessa we were going out, just the two of us, and I lead my daughter down the street to Yo Sweets.  She ordered a mango and cream and I got an Acai Berry. We found a little spot in the corner and ate with our tiny plastic spoons.

"Have you gotten together with Taylor lately?" I asked her.

She shook her head.  "I'm still grounded," she reminded me.

"Oh, right," I said.  "Only a few days left. Maybe we should go out to celebrate."

"Or I could go skateboarding and hang out with Taylor," she countered and I laughed.  Of course she'd want to get together with her only Washington Heights friend as soon as she could.  We were silent for a few moments and I decided to turn a little serious.