Chapter 1: The Fight

The events of 2038 changed Connor's life forever. Before, Connor's only purpose was to hunt deviants in order to aid humans. He never realized he would become attached to one, let alone become a deviant himself. A year passed, and the government finally accepted androids as an independent race. Once the situation calmed down, Detroit became repopulated by those who were living there prior to the revolution, including Hank. Connor had nowhere to go when he became a deviant, so he had turned to Hank after they hugged in front of Chicken Feed.

"Lieutenant, may I ask you something?"

"What is it, Connor?"

The android looked down at his fidgeting hands. "Well, now that I'm a deviant, I'm not working for Cyberlife anymore. I am my own android. I have nowhere I'm required to be, and I wouldn't have a clue where to travel on my own. So, I was wondering lieutenant...if, perhaps, you will allow me to stay with you."

Hank smiled fondly and reached out his hand to touch Connor's shoulder. "Partners stick together, right?"

"Right," Connor smiled back. "Also, there's one other thing I'd like you to do, Hank. Please, promise me you'll stop drinking. I mean it. It really is bad for your health. You'll kill yourself, and there are people who need you alive."

Hank hesitated, then responded. "All right, I promise. As long as ya stop pestering me about it, ya fuckin' android." He gave Connor a playful punch, and the two left together.

Both men were rehired by the Detroit Police Department, and life was going well for the pair...until one bleak evening.

The sky was grey; heavy rain was pouring down on the windows of their one story house. Connor had departed to get some more blue blood, and Hank was by himself. The android later returned and wiped his feet before entering the living room and shutting the door behind him.

"Lieutenant I'm ho-"

He froze as soon as he witnessed Hank.

"Hank!" Connor shouted.

Hank had been drinking, and his gun was out again. His upper half was lying on the kitchen table. Connor ran up to him and scanned him. This time, he had only fallen asleep. Connor was enraged. He shook Hank until he woke up.

"Jeeesus, Connor you staaartled me!" Hank yelled, slurring his words.

"What the hell are you doing, Lieutenant? I told you to stop drinking!"

Hank sighed. "Leave me alone, Connor."

"No! You promised me!"

"I said leave me aloone, Connor. I'm fine."

"Fine? Fine, Lieutenant?! You could've died! I would've arrived too late to save you!"

"Calm down! I'm not dead, all right? I just needed some whiskey tonight," Hank explained.

Connor scoffed. "You weren't drinking...what happened?"

Hank stared at the table, silent.

"I'm aware that Cole's death had a major emotional impact on you Lieutenant, and I am very sorry for your loss, but do I even matter at all to you?"

"Yooou don't know what's going on, Connor, so shuut the fuck up!" Hank arose from his chair as he was shouting and violently shoved Connor to the ground.

Tears began to pour down Connor's cheeks. Hank looked down at him in guilt.

"Connor, I..."

"Fuck you, Hank." The android arose from the floor and quickly escaped to the bathroom, locking himself in. After crying a bit more, he shut himself off for the night.