Chapter 5: Waiting

Connor sat in the emergency room aching with fear. On the way to the hospital, Hank's chance of survival was decreasing.

What if he never got to speak to Hank again?

He tried to push the negative thoughts away and focus on the good.

The good memories. The fact that Hank could survive. Plans for the future.

Connor smiled as he remembered the first time he ever met Hank at Jimmy's Bar exactly one year ago that very day.

100% processing data...

"Lieutenant Anderson, my name is Connor. I'm the android sent by Cyberlife. I looked for you at the station, but nobody knew where you were. They said you were probably having a drink nearby. I was lucky to find you at the fifth bar."

"What do you want?" Hank asked with a cold tone in his voice.

"You were assigned a case early this evening. A homicide, involving a Cyberlife android. In accordance with procedure, the company has allocated a specialized model to assist investigators."

"Well I don't need any assistance." Hank retorted. "Specially not from a plastic asshole like you. So just be a good little robot and get the fuck outta here."

Connor was able to get Hank to leave the bar by buying him a drink for the road. Who knows what would've happened had Connor been an asshole and spilled Hank's drink instead. Thankfully he didn't do that.

Connor soon stood up as he saw a familiar face coming into the ER.

"Markus!" Connor exclaimed.

Markus approached Connor and embraced him.

"Hey, buddy. You doin' all right?"

"I'm a little better, but I'm still afraid. What if he doesn't make it?"

"Hank is a strong guy. If anybody were to make it in this situation, it'd be him."

Connor let go. "Thank you for coming, Markus."

"You don't need to thank me, Connor. We've been friends ever since the revolution. We're supposed to do this kind of thing, aren't we?"

Connor smiled again. "I'm glad I can count on you. I just hope Hank doesn't hate me after what happened."

"Here," Markus said, "let's sit down."

He paused before continuing. "I know that your situation isn't the same as mine, Connor, but I remember how scared I felt when I was taking care of Carl. He was getting old, and I knew that his time was coming soon. He said to me, 'One day, I won't be here to take care of you anymore. You'll have to protect yourself, and make your choices. Decide who you are and wanna become. This world doesn't like those who are different, Markus. Don't let anyone tell you who you should be.' Carl was all I had. Even though my blood was different from his, he was and is my father. I was used to being told what to do, so how could I make my own choices? Becoming deviant changed me, and it changed you, too. Even though I pushed his son Leo down, Carl forgave me and understood the motive behind my action. You were only trying to help, Connor. Hank should appreciate your concern."

Connor sighed sadly.

"It'll be okay," Markus said thoughtfully, removing the skin from his hand and placing it on Connor's thigh.

The way Markus spoke made Connor feel like things really were going to be okay, but he knew he'd have to wait and see. A minute or two passed until a nurse walked out.

"Connor? The rk800 android?"

Connor leapt from his seat as fast as he could. "Yes, that's me, ma'am. Is Hank stable?"

"The doctors were able to save him. If you'd like, you may see him now. He's right over there."

Connor scoffed in amazement. "He made it!" He turned to Markus and embraced him again. "He made it, Markus!"

"I told you he would! Now go, hurry!" Markus chuckled.

"Thanks again," Connor said to Markus and rushed away to find Hank.