Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Monster Monday

    "She's a killer."

    "A murderer."

    "Did you hear about Casey Arnolds? She killed her because she was jealous."

    "Jealous of what?"

    "Probably her friends, 

    "I never liked her anyways,"

    "Now now girls," A blonde steps forward, towering over her companions due to a mixture of tall-person genetics and heels, "It's so rude to gossip." She looks at me directly, it's not like I'm incognito either, the feathers in my hair certainly aren't as prevalent throughout the student body as I thought they would be. Nobody has any first of November day spirit anymore.

    "But you're the one who saw her kill the bird." Another girl protests. Kill the bird? For my credit, I haven't killed any birds in my entire life.

    "Incorre-" I begin to say, willing to provide evidence to support my claim of innocence.

    "What? That was just innocent speculation, I never actually saw her kill the poor dear, she was just holding its dead body. Assumptions were made. Isn't that right, Stein?" I realize she's talking about Bluie and note the strange temperature drop that follows. Ah, it's just Gwen's clammy hand clamping onto my wrist,

    "Well you know what they say, assumptions make asses out of you and me, but mostly you."

    "Asteroids." I had a few beat too late, earning some confused glances from the girls and a professional eye roll from Gwen.

    "Come on Stein, let's go find you boyfriend."

    "Boy-space-friend or boy-not-space-friend? But we have to wait, they asked me a question."

"You don't have the answer the question."

"But isn't it my duty as a student to answer questions?'

"No."

"Okay." I turn to the girls, "To answer your question I actually have no idea. Bye-bye now." I decided it was my duty anyways, after all Gwen isn't a very dedicated student and may mislead me, unintentionally or otherwise.

Gwen drags me down the hall, as though she is running for the whispers that only get louder as we pass by.

    "Is something wrong?' I ask, glancing around the crowded hallways, there seem to be more people than usual, maybe it's my imagination. Then again, I don't have to imagine as, upon counting I realize there are, in fact, more people present.

    "Yes, there is something very wrong." Don't say it.

    "What would that be?" I ask, training my eyes on the floor, count the scuff marks, count the tiles, count the scratches and dents.

    "They're all talking about you like you're some sort of convicted felon who murdered fifteen people." And she said it,

    "And?" Ah, the denial route.

    "And?' Her voice is a whisper, deadlier than her usual shouting, "Are you pretending not to know what's wrong with this situation or should I explain it to you?" I flinch at her tone, it's familiarity is lost on Gwen. You should go.

    "I should go." I reply, abruptly turning around, hoping she doesn't try to prevent me from leaving. She tries to stop me. I feel her hand close around my wrist. It's just Gwen, it's just Gwen. Are you sure? I can't force myself to turn around, but I feel my breathing becoming uneven. And you thought you were fine. I quickly twist around, and she's there, for just a moment. Eyes like ice, her same smile twisting her lips, her long platinum hair.