Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Use this against me

    "Gwen, isn't this a bit formal? I doubt I'm going to be taking glamour shots with him." I tug at the full skirt of the red dress, my hands covered by white satin, before letting out a long groan.

    "Well it's not like he told you where you'd be going. So be prepared! That's why you're wearing combat boots instead of heels, just incase he tries to make you go hiking."

    "But I'd still be in this dress so hiking would be challenging, to say the least."

    "Well then all you have to do it detach the skirt, this is one of those fancy two piece dresses."

    "Did you get this from my closet?" There is no way I bought this thing, nor was it given to me.

    "Nope." I don't bother asking where it's from, she won't answer anyways.

    "Can I please wear the cupcake dress instead? I'll settle for the donut dress even, just not this."

    "No, you've worn it once and therefore can never wear it again."

    "What?"

    "It was a joke. But the answer is still no because this dress is really neat; watch this." Gwen proceeds to firmly grasp the skirt of the dress and pull, removing it with a flourish.

    "Velcro. Really classy." I note, turning to my closet and pulling out the cupcake dress. It will make a reappearance and a grand reappearance at that.

    "You can't wear that one, Alan's already seen you in it!" Gwen shreeks, yanking the dress out of my hands.

    "And he said I looked beautiful in it, that means he'll like it for sure if I wear it again."

    "No, the effect the second time will be diminished because it isn't new."

    "That doesn't make sense, if you like something once you'll like it twice."

    "That's not necessarily true."

    "Even if you're right I won't wear this. With the skirt on I look like some victorian lady and without it I look like some sort of trapeze artist. And, although I enjoy both effects, neither are appropriate for a date."

    "Fine, I'll let you wear one of your food dresses, just not the cupcake one."

    I end up opening the door for Alan in a coffee dress. Because maybe he'll subconsciously register the presence of caffeine and be a little less nervous and more comfortable. That is, of course, assuming my mom is right about his problem, and everyone knows that Susan is always right. Well every Thompson and worker at her firm knows it, at least.

    "You look very pretty." I tell him immediately, he's wearing a button up shirt and he did something to his hair so it's curlier than usually (and therefore fluffier).

    "You too?" I can hear the question in his voice, he was probably caught off guard, "I mean you look very pretty, so pretty, super duper pretty."

    "I agree. Gwen did a phenomenal job on my makeup and I quite like this dress." I hold it out and do a little twirl for him: hypnotism is a valid dating strategy, I think so at least; it makes sure you get a second date, so it definitely works.

    "I was expecting some sort of dirty joke there, I guess Gwen hasn't given you any lines?" He asks, leaning to the side a little to see if Gwen is hiding behind me.

    "No, she gave me a few for after the date. Apparently I'm supposed to ask you if you want to come over to my place for coffee but then I'm not supposed to serve you coffee."