Chapter 29

In addition to writing his book Millard was now insisting on continuing his education. After long discussions with Miss Peregrine and several letters to the Council of Ymbrynes Millard had finally been allowed to participate in an abroad study program. The Council would enroll him in programs of his choosing at different schools in the UK and Millard would receive and submit his assignments through the mail – which Miss Peregrine would retrieve as she still wasn't letting any of them leave the loop, even after Millard had volunteered to go nude so no hollow could see him.

Millard's aptitude for learning amazed Aurora as he breezed through assignments that made her head spin. Not only that but Millard was working at an incredible pace, in the past five years he'd already completed five different degrees in the fields of mathematics, science and literature and had received his EdD, and his MBCh. He was taking on course loads that even Albert Einstein wouldn't be able to compete with. Several of his professors begged to meet him in person and it broke Millard's heart to decline – under the rouse that he had an incurable disease and couldn't be around anyone other than his team of doctors.

Aurora had worried that comparing his peculiarity to a disease might upset Millard but once she saw how much work he was speeding through she realized his brain probably didn't have room to worry about being offended. Of course, Millard did take time off between semesters and that was when he had his focus on Aurora. During the school year Aurora didn't mind coming in second to Millard's studies, she knew that learning was a big part of who Millard was and she wasn't going to do anything to change that. Besides, it gave Aurora more free time to spend with the others. Claire, in particular, had grown quite a sisterly bond to Aurora and stayed by her side most of the day. Aurora would help her brush out her hair in the morning and reshape the perfect blonde curls, they'd pick flowers in the garden together, Aurora would teach her a few simple melodies on the piano and she'd earned a permanent place at Claire and Bronwyn's tea parties. Aurora had worried that there might be rift between her and Bronwyn, she was afraid the young peculiar would blame Aurora for her brother's death. Thankfully, the little girl didn't hold a grudge, she knew that if Aurora could have changed it she would have.

After a night of heavy studying Millard walked into Claire and Bronwyn's room to find Aurora finishing up reading them one of the Tales of the Peculiar.

"Such was the fate of all the villagers. All, but farmer Hayworth, who kept his limbs and lived in his little house and farmed his swamp like he always had. He didn't bother his new neighbors and they didn't bother him. He had everything he needed and so did they. And they lived happily ever after." she finished the last line of the tale of the Splendid Cannibals by heart as she walked from one bed to the next tucking the covers around the now sleeping girls. Aurora was so good with children, she had this certain twinkle in her eye when she was with them. It saddened Aurora that since living in a loop she was denied the chance to have children of her own one day, and it wasn't just the loop, there were other problems. Even if she did have a child the odds were that they'd be born normal, unable to live in a loop. She would have to face the same decision Millard once had before Aurora discovered her peculiarity – stay with the child and risk drawing a hollowgast to them and putting their life in danger, or give up the child for their own good. Aurora didn't like either option so she'd always push her sadness aside and redirect her focus to whatever Claire and Bronwyn were doing. Watching the two young girls always cheered her up and warmed her heart.

"You do beautifully with them darling." Millard told her as she exited the room and closed the door quietly before they made their way to Millard's room.

"Thank you." She replied softly leaning up and giving him a quick kiss. Millard chuckled and Aurora's eyebrows knit together in confusion.

"What?"

"That was my chin." He said holding back more quiet laughter. Aurora blushed, extremely embarrassed and her eyes turned to the floor. She felt Millard's hand cup her chin and raise her face to look at him again. "These are my lips." he said gently as he pulled her mouth to his. Aurora's arms wound around his neck as she raised herself up on her toes so she could move her lips more urgently against his. Millard barely had enough of a clear mind to reach out and close his bedroom door before he wound his arms around her waist.

oOo oOo oOo

A few nights later Aurora walked into Millard's room to find him lying on the floor face down, it took her a moment to realize he was doing push ups.

"Millard I didn't know you worked out?" she asked confused.

"Because I didn't." he replied between breaths.

"Then why the change in routine?" she asked taking a seat at his desk right beside where his feet were.

"I was researching for one of my assignments and found that current day research has shown that physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals and being active boosts high-density lipoprotein and decreases unhealthy triglycerides." By this point in his explanation Aurora was already regretting asking the bloody question. She should have known only Millard could make exercise sound like a heavily researched scientific activity.

"This keeps your blood flowing smoothly, which decreases risk of cardiovascular diseases. It also delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and helps your cardiovascular system work more efficiently." He panted as he continued his work out. At this point Aurora had started to tune him out, as he continued talking and exercising she noticed that she'd spent most of Millard's monologue staring at his backside as his body moved up and down. She blushed redder than Olive's hair and snapped herself out of it, turning to look at something else – anything else- in the room. Thank bird, he was facing away from her and didn't notice.

"Researchers also found that physical activity not only can boost the size of the hippocampus but stimulates the release of growth factors and chemicals in the brain that affect the health of brain cells, the growth of new blood vessels in the brain, and even the abundance and survival of new brain cells." He said, his panting increasing.

"Millard don't forget to breathe, love." Aurora warned noticing that his detailed explanation wasn't allowing him enough air that he needed while exercising. He stopped mid-push up and got off the floor turning to her.

"Sorry, I keep forgetting long winded explanations and exercise don't mix." He laughed breathlessly and leaned forward to give her a quick peck on the lips. "I'm going to take a shower, I'm covered in sweat." Aurora could tell by the way his cotton tee shirt clung to his skin. Why did that make her heart beat faster?

"Alright, I'm going to head to the library." Maybe find a book that can explain this absurd reaction!

"Didn't you just come from there?" Millard asked.

"I did." She stumbled for words, "But, I just remembered something else I forgot to look up." She quickly explained and left the room which had suddenly felt so much hotter. For birds sake Aurora he was only exercising! Don't get all flustered like a schoolgirl, you're nearly sixty!