Chapter 62

"I can't believe we made it." {Emma Bloom, pg 184 book 2}

"Six." Emma said counting the bodies, "That's all of them."

"When you broke the window, how did you know the bees wouldn't attack us?" Jacob asked Bekhir.

"I didn't. Luckily, your friend's power is strong."

"Oh my bird! Hugh!" Emma shrieked and ran outside. Just as she and the others were about to search for him he stumbled out of the tall wildflowers and weeds, grass stained and smiling.

"Hugh! You're alive!" Bronwyn shouted and hugged him.

"I am. Are all of you?"

"Thanks to you we are." Olive said from her place beside Enoch, their arms intertwined.

"You're our man in a pinch Hugh!" Horace cried.

"Nowhere am I deadlier than in a field of wildflowers." He said smiling, enjoying the attention.

"Sorry about all the times I made fun of your peculiarity." Enoch said, "I suppose it's not so useless."

"Additionally, I'd like to compliment Hugh on his impeccable timing." Millard said, his arm still wrapped around Aurora, "Really, if you'd arrived just a few seconds later. . . "

Hugh went on to explain how he'd evaded capture by ducking down between the train and the platform. He'd sent his bees trailing after them, which allowed him to follow from a safe distance.

"Young man, we owe you our lives." Bekhir said to Hugh gaining Millard's attention.

"What about Radi?" he asked with worry.

"He managed to escape with two of my men, thank God. We lost three fine animals today, but no people. You must allow us to repay you!"

"There's no need. . . " Hugh blushed.

"And no time either." Emma spoke up, "We have a train to catch!"

"We'll take their jeep." Millard said, always thinking, "If we're lucky – and if that wight was correct – we might just be able to catch the train during its stopover in Porthmadog."

"We know a shortcut." Bekhir offered and began drawing a map in the dirt explaining the directions to Jacob and Emma. Millard, meanwhile, had noticed how bad Aurora's cut had become. Blood was still slowly dripping down the side of her face, the extra slice from Mr. White's blade only making it worse. He ripped off the bottom of his shirt and folded it into a neat square before he started wiping away the trails of blood from her cheek. When that was done he started dabbing the wound hoping the bleeding would stop and it would start to clot. Once he pressed too hard and Aurora winced in pain.

"Sorry." He said immediately, "Does it hurt terribly, darling?"

"Just stings a bit." Aurora said with a shrug and Millard noticed that it was the first time she'd spoken since their capture. "We're going to be alright Aurora." He said looking her in the eye, though she couldn't see him something told him she could feel his gaze on her as she looked back. He kissed her on her uninjured cheek for good measure and whispered, "I love you."

A small smile tugged at her lips, "I love you too."

oOo oOo oOo

They squeezed into the wights' jeep and Jake took the wheel. They sped toward Porthmadog as Millard gave directions. They reached the town in twenty minutes and heard the train's whistle blowing as they headed for the station. They arrived just in time to leap on the last car as the train was leaving. They all panted as they gave the conductor their tickets and he showed them to their cabin as other passengers tried not to stare at the sweaty, dirty and disheveled children that passed them. They made it to their cabin with ease where they found Miss Peregrine and they all took seats as the adrenaline rush left them tired and hungry.