Chapter - 1

Nandini

(Dubai)

'The impact of the accident is said to be so strong, that it must have resulted in immediate death of both of them.  Though the investigating officers are yet to reveal the identities of the bodies,  our sources confirm that the people in the car were indeed the much feared Mafia boss NM and her right hand man Aryaman. The bodies that were recovered from the car at the accident site, were burned beyond recognition. As it is, NM guarded her identity very fiercely, so there is no chance of knowing for sure, that it was her. The identification process of the bodies has begun. The officers are sure they'll soon have answers. They do suspect some sort of foul play in this accident, though. The brakes of the car had been tampered with. There seems to be the hand of the rivals of NM behind this accident. It is being said that......'

'Nandini?' came the voice from outside the door of my room followed by two knocks.

'Come in!' I replied, muting the TV. Mukti opened the door poking her head inside. She gave me a small smile when she looked at me and swiftly came in the room, closing the door behind her. She came up to my bed, where I was sitting with the support of the headboard and a huge bandage on my head. The damn painkillers were barely effective. I was feeling as if my whole body was on fire and somebody was pounding my head with a hammer continuously. I pressed my head with one hand making a mental note of asking the doctor for a stronger painkiller.

I looked up at Mukti, who had reached for the jar of water kept on my bedside table. She poured a glass of water and handed it to me along with my medicines. I took them from her hand and gulped it all in one go. As I kept the glass back on the table, Mukti moved towards the end of my bed and sat down. Motioning towards the TV she asked, 'You saw it?'

I looked towards the TV, which was still showing the news about my accident and supposed death. The accident site was swarming with reporters and police. I nodded in reply to Mukti's question and said, 'Yeah. It's a good thing, though, that you came behind us. I owe you one this time.' I gave her a small smile. Mukti has been with me ever since I remember. More than my friend, she is my sister. She is one of the very few people that I trust. Since I protect my identity from everyone, she is the one who handles all the meetings and outdoor stuff. She is continuously under a lot of threat because of that, but never once has she complained. We have a relation where we are ready to kill and die for each other.

She frowned looking at me and said sternly, 'You don't owe me anything!' I just chuckled at her reply. She sighed and said, 'What are we going to do now? We staged your death but how will we convince everyone that it was you and Aryaman. If the identification is done, they will get to know it's not you but someone else. The couple had died a day back. Postmortem report will show!'

I thought for a while. In this situation, there was only one person who could get us our desired results. I looked back at Mukti and said, 'Find out who's the doctor.' She raised her eyebrows understanding what I meant. She nodded and said, 'OK. I'll get Abhimanyu to pay the doctor a visit once I find out everything about the doctor.'

Threatening the doctor with the safety of the people he loves. Not my best move. But desperate times call for desperate measures. Right now, nothing is more important than convincing everyone, especially those scheming douches, that I was dead. They want to play? Let's play.

Mukti made a move to stand but I had one very important question for her.

'Wait! Mukti,' I stopped her from leaving. She sat back and looked at me questioningly.

'How's Aryaman now?' He is one of the best I have. He isn't called my right hand man for nothing. He is another one whom I trust completely. I can't afford to lose a friend like him. In this accident, he was the one who took the brunt. While I escaped with a minor head injury, few cuts and a sprained ankle, he has a broken arm, a large cut on his forehead, a torn ligament and a few internal injuries to deal with.