Chapter 03

"How many are left?" Batman asks.

"I believe it's just Two-Face and Penguin."

"What about the Avengers?"

"Let me find Mr. J. Just don't tell him I've changed."

"I won't tell him. Not until you're ready."

Catwoman disappears, strolling along the hallways of the Wayne Mansion, looking for Joker. Hidden among the shadows, a voice calls out to her. It starts out as a wordless whisper, until she is able to make out the words.

"Hey, Hardy. What are you looking for?" The Joker smiles mischievously.

"Where are the Avengers?" Catwoman asks, trying desperately to look innocent.

The Joker's smile disappears. His eyes shine brightly from the moonlight spilling through the window. "Why do you want to know where they are?"

"I don't know. Maybe I want to use them as my own personal scratching post?"she says teasingly, yet not so convincingly.

"They're in the sewers," Joker grumbles.

Catwoman turns to leave and murmurs a quick "Thanks" before heading back to Batman.

"I've got my eye on you, Hardy," Joker retorts just before she disappears.

Catwoman finds Batman still in the Batcave, checking over the scrapes on his Batmobile. After giving him a quick hug, Batman turns and faces her, with a brief smile.

"They're in the sewers," Catwoman tells him. "This way." She takes his hand and leads him away from the Batcave. With a quick jump down the waterfall, they land inside the sewers. Catwoman automatically wrinkles her nose from the stench. She follows Batman as he leads the way through the sewers. Batman trips over something and almost falls into the filthy water, catching himself at the last second. He picks up what he tripped over. It was Captain America's shield. Voices were coming from straight ahead.

"Oh, hey. You found it. Thanks, Wayne." Captain America notices Catwoman behind Batman. "And you came back with a girl?" he smirks.

Batman tightens his grip on Catwoman's hand. Captain America notices this gesture and laughs a bit. "No need to be so protective, Wayne."

"Good," Batman growls. "You all can go now."

"What about all of Catwoman's men around here?" Captain America asks.

"Um, actually, only Two Face and Penguin are left," Catwoman speaks up quietly. "Bats and I can handle it."

"Alrighty then." The Avengers climb out of the sewers. Their complaints could be heard when they walked away. Complaints of the stench of their clothing and weaponry.

Catwoman turns to Batman. "Should we split up to find those two?"

"Yeah, I'll continue the search down here. You look around the mansion."

"Okay then. Just use the communicator if you need me," Catwoman advises, then climbs back and disappears back into the Batcave.