Lex Talionis

I was never the fastest person. I usually finished the mile within 12-14 minutes in Physical Education in high school. I also never signed up for any extracurricular activities, considering how unappealing the idea of being stuck in that hell-hole for even another minute was. Anyway, I was never the fastest person—even for an old man. And frankly, it was quite embarrassing to admit, although I'm sure my wheezing gave away my athletic abilities to Lukas—or lack thereof, to be precise.

"I'm sorry," I sighed with defeat, "I'm too fat for this."

I slightly craned my neck to look at him, unwilling to completely turn around while the excessive sweat my body produced cascaded down my face. I was surely rosy, too, which was something I never felt secure about because it made me look like a fucking tomato. It probably wouldn't matter, though, because the running had strewn my hair enough to conceal my sweaty face, but the very thought of any part of me looking unpleasant in front of someone as attractive as Lukas made me want to throw up.

"What?" In what sounded like amusement, Lukas said, "No, no. That man is fast. Have you looked at me?"

Once again, I turned my neck towards him, watching as he opened his arms to display the sweat that had collected on the collar of his shirt. And his hair, also strewn but not in a similar predicament to mine, was plastered against his forehead. Still, I shook my head in disagreement, and he murmured a 'whatever.' He was probably thinking, 'I won't empathize with you again.'

"It's not like we can get to him anyway," he continued, "He went into the Grand Hall hosting Gabriel the Warrior."

"How do you get in there?" I asked, attempting to cool myself off in the process.

"Either you bought a ticket when they first came out, or you won the Endercon Building Competition," Lukas paused momentarily, "Which your group did."

"Oh, that's right, we did," I muttered.

Lukas opened his mouth to say something along the lines of, 'How did you not know?', which I concluded solely on the expression of confusion on his face. And, oh, did it make me nervous. However, a certain someone appeared out of seemingly nowhere, and I was relieved to see them—for once and only once.

"Hey, where have you been?"

It was Aiden, and the bastard dared to feign a look of innocence once he 'noticed' my presence. The situation was quite infuriating, to say the least, but this was a necessary distraction to my apparent fuck-up. Also, I'm sure another opportunity to push his face in would present itself in the near future.

"Where have I been? Really?" Lukas spat, "Where have you been?"

"Endercon," he replied curtly.

"I can't believe you," Lukas scoffed, "You're a coward."

Of course, since I was not acquainted with the true nature of the pair's relationship, I could not predict Aiden's reaction to being called a coward. However, I assumed he would be somewhat upset, mainly because no one appreciates being told such a thing, even if they are well aware of it themselves. But, Aiden did not budge; instead, he looked at the blonde with a blank stare, almost as if he expected him to say sike.

"What difference does it make now?"

The girl, one of the two other members of Lukas's group I had previously overlooked, spoke up. I do not remember her name, but I'm sure she's like-minded to Aiden: dull-witted and overall, a complete and utter moron.

"Maya is right," Aiden said, "They were never our friends, and never will be."

"So, why do you care so much, again?"