High-Strung

As the sun began its morning ascent into the sky, I couldn't help but groan in disappointment. Why, oh why had Jesse settled on a treehouse—and a roofless one, for that matter? The rays penetrated my eyelids, tinging my vision in an uncomfortable shade of red, and the others stirred, signifying that they, too, were equally upset about the sunlight's intrusive nature. Yet, I was the only one to arise, mainly because I couldn't go back to sleep. With my newfound reality finally nestling into my brain, I would have to exhaust myself beyond measure to achieve a peaceful slumber. 'Ah! But how could I forget?' I thought bitterly. I was stuck with a group of strangers tasked with saving the world...so, perhaps I would be able to acquire such a luxury after all.

"Good morning," Lukas whispered.

I jolted up, completely startled by the sudden greeting. If it weren't for the blonde's quick aptitude, our foreheads would have endured the collision of the century. 'Woah! It's just me,' he laughed as he held onto my shoulder. 'What—When?' I whisper-shouted at him while I pried his hand off my person. 'When did you move?' He didn't respond to my question. Instead, he placed his finger on his lips, silently informing me that the others remained asleep. 'But you spoke first,' I scoffed. The absolute gall he had not to act the least bit ashamed; still, the serious (but not so serious) expression on my face invoked an apology from Lukas.

"Alright, alright," he said, "I'm very sorry for startling you."

I looked at him in mock disapproval as he occupied the spot next to me, but he spared me no further glance. Perhaps the blonde had taken me seriously...which I was okay with, admittedly. I wasn't faring quite well, and considering our conversation yesterday—or precisely, my monologue—he was well aware of my inner turmoil. Nevertheless, I found myself apologizing in case he hadn't caught onto the playful banter. The last thing I wanted to do was start on a sour note.

"Now I'm the one who is sorry," I said to him.

"I know you weren't being serious," Lukas said, "It's just sunrises are quite lovely, and who knows, this could be the last one I'll ever witness."

"Ah, that is a depressing realization," I said, "And now I have something else to grieve over."

"I didn't mean to make you feel worse," he grimaced.

"Oh no, don't worry about it," I said earnestly, "I'm not the only one suffering, and I recognize that."

"Yeah, but I didn't have my life stripped away by a selfish prick," he said, the word 'prick' faltering just a bit.

"Ah, well, what can I say?" I chuckled, finding his usage of profanity amusing, "You are very much correct."

While the both of us sat in silence, I decided to straighten myself up. And by that, I mean repositioning my jacket and combing my hair with my fingers. It wasn't much, but it was all I could do to look the least bit presentable. After all, I wouldn't be able to shower, wash my face, brush my teeth, change into a fresh set of clothes, and grab a quick bite at the local Mcdonald's with my uncle. 'Fuck,' I blinked rapidly. A part of me wanted to dissolve into a pile of tears, snot, and incoherent vocabulary, and the other simply wanted to enjoy whatever time I had left in this shitty world.

"Stupid question, I know, but how are you doing?"

I turned to Lukas.

"Um, besides the looming threat of death," I said, "I'm not doing so terribly. Sure, I am restraining myself from breaking down, but..."

"That's an unhealthy coping mechanism," he stated, "Avoiding your issues, precisely."

"Well, I wouldn't say I'm avoiding them," I laughed, albeit sarcastically, "I just don't feel like sobbing uncontrollably before a group of strangers."