Simulacrum

Amid the rain of arrows, I stood alone, clutching my left hand in pain. The others, who'd managed to get through the obstacle unscathed, attempted to coax me with the promise that Olivia would heal me. However, I was too distraught over the realization that my worst nightmare had come true: my veins, they'd ruptured. The injury wasn't all that bad, admittedly, but the impermissible sensation of blood oozing steadily from my vessels had sent me into a frenzy of anxiety. When the lot understood that I would not move in my frantic state, they sought to devise a solution to shut off the dispensers, which involved Lukas's bow and one single, damned arrow.

"If you tell me to be careful one more time," Jesse warned, "So help me, God."

"I'm sorry, Jesse," Axel said, "It's just that—I did this, and I'd feel terrible if you could not get her out of there."

"This is about Y/N, not you, okay?" Jesse said, "Now, allow me to concentrate."

"Wait, no, that's not what I meant," Axel began, but Olivia had had enough.

No individual would have anticipated such a response from someone so proper, not even Olivia herself. But, apparently, she'd convinced herself that her friend's offense had warranted a good ol' smack upside the head. 'Hey, what gives?' Axel sputtered as he cradled his skull. And, oh, the imperceivable satisfaction I felt upon observing the expression of disbelief he bore was great. In my defense, it was well-deserved, considering that Axel had (knowingly but unconsciously) created this mess. Although I didn't blame him for the injury or how he'd left me behind despite noticing, I wasn't content with him essentially inhibiting Jesse from rescuing me. So, thank you, Olivia.

"You bumped into Y/N, you big dolt!" Olivia said, "Are you trying to sabotage Jesse's only attempt at saving her?"

"I'm aware of that, okay?" Axel said, "I'm just telling Jesse to be careful...out of guilt."

"Well, it's stressing him out," Olivia said, "So, be quiet."

"Okay, okay. I will," Axel said, "But—I couldn't help but ask—doesn't Lukas have two more arrows?"

"Have you seen them?" Olivia pinched the bridge of her nose.

Axel turned towards the blonde, who grew visibly uncomfortable under his gaze; still, he explained how he had collected the broken items from a fallen skeleton this morning. Midway into speaking, though, Lukas noticed the other's disinterest, and in his now frustrated state, he asked, 'Why are you being so difficult?' Of course, Axel became defensive; and knowing that an argument would further worsen the situation, Olivia tried to break up the pair. Unfortunately, her efforts were fruitless. It wasn't until Axel decided to call Lukas an inconvenience that Jesse concluded it was high time he intervened. All I could think was 'Thank God,' mainly because I just wanted to get out of here.

"What do you think you're doing?" Jesse asked as he inserted himself between the two.

Axel opened his mouth to respond, but the brunette interrupted him anyway.

"You know what? Never mind. We will discuss this later, Axel," Jesse pointed at him in a scolding manner, "But, for now—and I mean this in the most polite way possible—shut up."

And that he finally did.

Following a session of mental preparation, Jesse turned in my direction, glancing briefly at me in an apologetic manner. He then placed the arrow where it belonged on the bow, gingerly drew the string, and allowed his fingers to slip backward. Everybody watched in suspense as it whirled past the booby-trapped hallway, miraculously dodging every other arrow produced by the countless dispensers that littered the walls. While it narrowly missed me by a hair, it hit its target: a pressure plate. Immediately after the arrow embedded itself within said pressure plate, it halted the entire operation, rendering the following halls safe to tread.