Chapter 8

My next ghost encounter came when I went to the boys’ bathroom. While I was washing my hands, I saw Carrie still dressed for a prom in the mirror. I couldn’t make out what she was trying to say, but I assumed that she was begging me for closure by my bringing the murderer to justice. Her face was twisted with pain and her eyes were wide with terror. I turned to confront her, but she was gone when I turned around. I hated the fact that I couldn’t make contact with her. I really had no idea why she was haunting me.

“Hey, Kramer,” a guy shouted. “Wells is looking for you.”

I turned to look at a short, muscular kid with a buzz cut. It was Josh Sanford, a hall monitor. “What for?”

“I don’t know. She wants you to come to her office.”

I went past Josh without commenting and headed for Well’s office. Her secretary, Janet Taylor, was Mr. Taylor’s daughter. She had his harsh demanding eyes.

“Jay Kramer,” I announced.

“Good,” she said. “Go right in.”

I cautiously opened Well’s office door and stood just inside. Well’s looked up at me and waved her hand. “Come closer, Kramer.”

I reluctantly walked over in front of her desk. She didn’t have chairs so I had to stand. I studied her face to discern any evil intent. She had a few crow’s feet and smile lines in her otherwise clear complexion. Her delicately curled sandy hair framed a classically featured face with a thin imperious nose above pert lips decorated with ruby gloss. She was attired in a dark blue wool suit with below the knee skirt over a white blouse with the collar and sleeves showing. I saw and smelled several spent cigarettes in a glass ashtray on her desk.

“Mr. Taylor has informed me that you’ve skipped two gym and swimming classes without submitting an excuse. As you must know, you cannot graduate without making those classes up. Boys’ make up physical education classes are held on the second Friday of each month at 7:00 PM. I would advise you to attend them.”

“How many of them do I have to attend?”

“You must attend the same number that you’ve missed.”

“Yes, ma’am.” I remained standing in front of her desk.

“Ah . . . what if I couldn’t make them up? What other option do I have?”

Her expression turned somber. Her brow wrinkled and her lips pursed. “If you wish to graduate under those circumstances I would have no other choice but to administer corporal punishment, but I don’t think that you want it to come down to that.”

“I understand, ma’am.”

“Very well then,” she said with the hint of amusement. “You may leave now.”

“Thank you, ma’am.”

I turned and marched out glad that she didn’t get spastic and bawl me out.

I connected with Julia at lunch. She seemed subdued and contemplative.

“I had to go to Well’s office,” I told her.

Her face exploded with surprise. “What for?”

“I’ve missed a couple of phys ed classes. She told me that I would have to make them up if I wanted to graduate. The only other option would be corporal punishment.”

Julia teased me with a smirk. “You don’t want that option, believe me.”

I gave her a sly smile in return. “I’m sure.”

I waited until she settled down. “How about a movie tonight?”

Her face exuded excitement. “Sure.”

I picked her up and we went to see ‘Vertigo’, an Alfred Hitchcock thriller, staring James Stewart and Kim Novak. We munched on popcorn after which she moved closer to allow me to put an arm around her shoulders.

Later, when we got back to her place, we kissed just inside the doorway to the stairs that went up to her mother’s apartment.

“Do you know anyone who has been paddled by Wells?”

She was surprised that I would ask that just then. “I think that Nancy Talbot did. I’ll get in touch with her and you can ask her about it.”

“Thanks,” I told her with a weak smile.

“You’re really into my sister’s murder investigation, aren’t you?”

“I saw her again . . . in the boys’ bathroom. She tried to tell me something, but I couldn’t make it out. She appeared to be terrified. I don’t like that.”

“She’s dead. What’s to be terrified about?”

“I don’t know, but I’m going to find out.”

Julia wasn’t happy with my obsession with her sister’s murder, but I had to know the truth.