Chapter 16

Finally, Julia and I were able to go out on a date. We went to a dance sponsored by the YMCA, one in which we didn’t have to remove our shoes because it was held it in an auditorium in which the seats were not permanent. A live band played doo-wop. I was surprised that the band was a mixed African American and Hispanic group.

Julia and I danced to their version of the Del-Vikings’ hit ‘Come Go With Me’, which made us revert to a jitterbug style of dancing. The guy on the sax was especially good and the singing was close enough to resemble the original.

The pace slowed when they played ‘Watching the Moon’. We moved around the floor to the dreamy tones immersed in each other, impervious to the other couples. I had never fallen for anyone like Julia. It was something I hadn’t anticipated, but I liked it.

I sensed that Julia seemed more relaxed now, and that made me happy. She had gotten over her anxiety about my seeing her sister’s ghost. I decided then and there to never mention it again. I felt that I could be a bit more intimate with her so after the dance I stopped out near the reservoir off Harding Road. That’s where guys take girls for a more romantic encounter. The reservoir was a small artificial lake surrounded on three sides by sheer rock cliffs. A gravel road led to the open side where there was enough space for cars to park along the edge of the reservoir.

I turned the ignition off and settled back with my arm draped over Julia’s shoulders, a move that prompted her to move close, eventually right up against me.

We groped and kissed, exploring with our tongues because it was the thing to do, but I felt it wasn’t the right time to go all the way, and I think she was in agreement.

“Have you brought other girls out here?” she asked in a playful manner when we came up for air.

“Nope, you’re the first,” I said, adding a satisfied grin.

“I really enjoyed the dance,” she said. “That was fun.”

“I agree. We should do more of that sort of thing.”

She got serious. “What are you going to do after graduation?”

“I haven’t given it much thought. I’d like to get a job around here, but I don’t know if I can. What are your plans?”

She looked away for a moment. “I’m not sure. I’d love to stay around here.”

I offered a warm smile. “If I have anything to do with it, you’ll stay.”

“Is that a commitment?’ she asked with a teasing smile.

“When I get my class ring, it’s yours.”

That offer was as good as a legitimate engagement announcement, and as result she literally jumped onto me and we merged into a single entity, kissing as if it were our last time together.

The next evening I finally went to Conner’s Race Track out near Delmont off Old Route 54. Nelson and Neil were busy doing last minute work on their cars when I got to the parking lot. Tonight was amateur night where anyone could drag race for a five-dollar fee.

“Hey!” Nelson yelled. “Look who showed up.”

“You must have nothing better do,” Neil said.

“Hey, I just wanted to see what you guys were up to.”

“We’re up against some stiff competition tonight,” Nelson said. “Some guy has entered a full race Fury.”

“You can beat him,” Neil said.

“What do you get if you win?” I asked.

“A trophy,” Nelson said. “It isn’t much, but it looks good on the old mantle.”

Whoop de doo, I thought.

“I had better get my car on the line,” Nelson said. “Otherwise they’ll disqualify me.”

He put his helmet on and climbed into his 56 Pontiac with a Chevy small block bored out to 283 cu in. He had removed the exhaust packs and his car roared loudly through tuned headers as he gunned the engine.

Neil and I stood near the fence that separated the parking lot/temporary pit area from the track itself. We watched Nelson move his car up to the line next to the guy in the Fury. They both inched closer to the line and stopped until the tree lights flashed green. Both cars laid rubber as they sped off the line and down the quarter mile. It was over as quickly as it began. Nelson got edged out at the finish.

We heard his car swing into the parking lot from the other side and pull next to Neil’s Olds.

“Damn it, he must have had roller cams in that thing.”

“Well Neil,” I said. “It’s your turn.”

Neil flashed a toothy grin. “I’ve got roller cams, dudes.”

He took off and pulled alongside his competitor in a 57 Corvette. Neil got off the line quicker and was able to just barely squeak out a victory.

When he returned, we applauded.

“At least this wasn’t a total waste,” Nelson said.

“I’m impressed,” I said. “You two are really into this.”

“We live and breath exhaust fumes,” Neil said as if it were his mantra.

I believed them, but I questioned their motives.