Chapter 9

I met Nancy Talbot at lunch. She and Julia came over and joined me. She was a full figured girl with straw colored hair and an infectious smile.

“Julia tells me that you’re interested in her sister’s murder and that you’ve seen her ghost.”

I sighed. “Yes, but I realize that most people don’t believe in ghosts.”

“Several people have told me about ghost sightings here,” she said in almost a whisper. “This high school is haunted for sure, especially with all the murders that have happened here.”

“Have you ever been paddled by Wells?”

“I sure have,” she said as if she were proud of it. “Why do you ask?”

“I’m trying to determine if Wells would have a motive to kill someone.”

“I doubt that she would go that far. She’s just a frustrated widow.”

“She was married?” I said with my surprise showing.

“She was married to Gordon Wells the guy who ran Westfield Trust. He died in car accident five years ago, and she’s been a bitch ever since.”

“Surely, she must have inherited his wealth,” I said. “What’s she doing being a high school principal?”

“I told you; she’s a frustrated bitch. She likes lording it over people, especially us kids. She and Gordon never had children. Hell, I don’t think they even had sex.”

I cringed when she said that. It was not the thing you wanted others to hear.

“So, what did you get paddled for?”

“I have a loose tongue. I got called on the carpet for talking in Mrs. Vincent’s History class and I suppose I gave her more lip than I should have.”

“I find it hard to believe that she still resorts to using a paddle to punish kids.”

“She’s old school. She has a hickory paddle that looks as if it’s been around for quite a spell. I think she inherited it from the previous principal, Mr. Tennyson. I’ve been told that the paddle has been passed down from principal to principal since the turn of the century.”

“How bad was it . . . being paddled, that is?”

“Bad enough,” she said. “But, pain is temporary.”

Yes, but death is permanent, I thought.

I had gym in the last period and Nancy’s tales about being paddled urged me to attend. After the session, I showered and was the last to do so. I stepped out of the shower and looked at a mirror that had fogged over from the steam. Something was written in the condensed moisture.

‘SISTER IS NEXT’

This had to be a message from Carrie and it meant that the murderer was going to strike again. Despite having just taken a hot shower, I felt a chill run up my spine. For the first time, I was really frightened.

I called Julia and told her that I wanted to meet her at Islay’s. She didn’t hesitate to agree to my request.

Islay’s was the place to go to have ice cream or a shake. They also served burgers. We both ordered a shake and a burger.

“I had an encounter with your sister’s ghost today,” I said, trying not to sound panicked. “She wrote on a fogged mirror: Sister is next.”

Julia’s face didn’t reflect my fear. She seemed amused. “I think my sister is playing with you. She always was a jokester.”

“I don’t think that we want to ignore this warning,” I said, frowning.

“The word of your ghost sightings is making the rounds. How do you know it wasn’t someone messing with you?”

“No one else was there. I was the last to shower.”

She shrugged. “I’m not going to get worried about it. It’s not as if we know for sure.”

I was appalled by her lack of concern. There was no doubt in my mind that the murderer was still lurking around in Westfield high, and there was a very high probability that he or she would strike again.

“I just want you to be careful,” I said, sounding like a concerned parent.

“You’re behaving like my mother,” she said in a teasing manner.

“I don’t want to lose you, Julia. It would . . . “

Her face reflected amused curiosity. “Are you trying to say something, Jay?”

“Okay, I’ll say it. I love you. I’ve never told a girl that before, but you’ve been so nice to me, I . . . “

She seemed surprised at first, but she quickly recovered and made her own reply. “I love you, Jay.”

The way she said it made me feel as if my heart would melt. The strength of that feeling was so intense I almost wanted to cry.

We really hugged and kissed with renewed intensity when we were in the stairwell entrance to her mother’s apartment. Words were no longer needed. The look in her eyes melted my heart and I had to take some deep breaths to avoid blubbering.

I cradled her face with my hands. “Be careful,” I said before departing.

“I will,” she replied looking dreamy at me.

Our lips mashed together for one last bodacious kiss before the sweet sorrow of parting.

I was determined more than ever to find the killer before it was too late.