VIII - The First Morning

Happy New Year Everyone!!

I hope this year will be filled with joy and great achievements for all of you. I wish you happiness, love, prosperity and many, many beautiful memories during 2019! I wish for you all to do what makes you happy, ace any test, goal or anything else you might want to do for the next 365 days (and beyond of course).

This chapter might be edited and lengthened soon but I wanted to post it for you guys.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Waking up. Worst part of my day. The feeling of falling which I had come to fear almost as much as loss. The memories that come with being conscious again and realizing what I had been re-living. Sometimes it got to be too much - the endless quests, months, years in hell. The faces of all the fallen heros. Of all that may have been had we not succeeded...

With a groan, I peeled my eyes open, swallowing the scream which threatened to break out of my throat. I let the soft morning light chase the shadows of my nightmares away. The moment my eyes became adjusted to the brightness of the room, I bolted up.

Nothing seemed familiar. The red and gold crafted fabric, which fell in waves around me, was as alien as the six sleeping kids around me. It took a while but I realised where I was - the Gryffindoor dorm. My grip relax on Riptide. With a groan, I fell back onto the bed, my hand going to shield the sunlight from my eyes. I tried not to think about my dream but instead focused on what today was to bring.

Magic lessons- fun. Great, even my head voice sounded deflated. Then I thought of Annabeth. This was exactly the type of place my Wise Girl would fall in love with instantly. Hopefully not more than she loves me. Though I had no talent for spotting beautifully carved arches or perfectly shaped castles, I could appreciate the effort someone had gone to in order to build this place and make it look awesome. Wise Girl would not only gush for hours about all the Gothic and Medieval and whatnot architecture but she would most probably master this whole whichy-thing in less than a week.

On second thought... if I were to (unintentionally) annoy her she would turn me into a guinea pig. I shuddered at the thought.

Soon enough, my stomach grumbled. I quickly got changed and left through the portrait hole. Yesterday, as the humanly called 'prefects' (aka the Weasley kid and Hermione) guided the first years to Gryffindoor tower, I tagged along. Every changing staircase, every exit out of the tower - I memorised. It took me a while. I had to sneek out after everyone had gone to sleep to make sure I remembered my way from the entrance to the common room. Quite honestly, the whole moving staircase thing was giving me a headache.

As I entered the Hall of Magic Food, I saw few people seated at their house tables. Some of the table had kids form other houses mixed in - silver and blue, red and yellow. Some heads turned in my direction, some broke out in whispers but most of them smiled politely and turned back to their conversations.

"Hey Percy!" I heard twin voices greet me and suddenly I was pulled into a seat by two red heads.
"You didn't happen to see Peeves flying about, have you?" 
Confused, I shook my head. Another magic creature I suppose. Instead, I turned to the food after giving them a short 'good morning to you too'.

Suddenly, a piece of paper was shoved into my hand.

Monday
First History of Magic
Second History of Magic
Break
Third Potions
Fourth Potions
Fifth Divination
Sixth Defense Against the Dark Arts
Seventh Defense Against the Dark Arts
Dinner
Evening Free Period

Tuesday
First Charms
Second Charms
Break
Third Transfiguration

...

The lesson names continued and none of them seemed any less weird. I mean - Herbology. Why woud someone name a class herb-ology? Its literally like saying dog-ology or cat-ology or animal-ology... now that I think about it I think there is a name for animal-ology.

Lost in thought, I almost didn"t notice who stood above me. She cleared her throat. Looking up, I saw Hermione's slightly flushed face. Huh, I didn't notice it was that cold here. Maybe Brits react differently and it is September already...

'So... as I was saying, Professor McGonagall wanted me to pass that onto you... well, I volunteered to give that to you... I mean you as in everyone. See?" She waved a few other pieces of paper in front my face. "Right. Well, I'm going to go give this out. See you in History." She rushed off.

I nodded, my reaction slightly delayed by my trying to process what the brunette just ranted out. I finished eating and went back to the dorm.

I was on the last staircase, fiddling around with my sword-pen, when a terrified screech rang out. Instinctively, I gripped Riptide and flung myself towards the noise.

It was coming from inside the Gryffindor Common Room.