Chapter Five

I stared up at the ceiling of the room I had been given to stay in. I lay on top of the covers still in my clothes, but even then I could tell that the bed was ridiculously soft. I really just wanted to climb in and get comfy, but at the same time a nervous feeling crept down my spine creating shivers of panic. My whole life has been uprooted by this, and even if the life before had been a shitty one it was still nice to keep the familiarity.

I lifted my fingers in front of my face and watched as lightning bounced throughout the tips of them. It was strange now, the fact that I hadn't changed out of my Shazam state and didn't even notice. Normally I'd activate my powers only when I needed them, but all things considered it was unnecessary for me to switch between the two if no problems came up by staying in my powered form. Plus, saying the word Shazam could lead the others to my identity as part of the Justice League. And Batman said that i wasn't allowed to reveal my true identity. And everyone knows that you listen to Batman.

"Alright I've decided," I announced to the open air above me.  I'd be staying in superhero form from now on, unless of course the situation called for a little change.

I fumbled uncomfortably across the bed and hopped off the side. In all honesty I was extremely curious about the place, and I'd need to know any escape roots anyway, just in case. For stealth measures I slid my shoes off and stepped on the cold ground with only my hole-filled socks.

I went to the door and opened it silently, sliding out into the dark hallway. I didn't know the layout of the building yet, so I headed back in the only direction I knew; the common area. When I arrived I noticed that the door was open and light spilled out into the hallway. I approached quietly and heard voices talking.

"So what do you think of the new guy," said the one with the green skin, Garfield.

"He seems egotistical," I heard Damian say.

"That's hilarious to hear from your mouth," joked Jaime, which was followed by an annoyed 'hey!'

The girl named Raven spoke up then, "his power seems familiar, I sense the presence of......I'm not sure, someone I may have met before."

I could feel the looks being passed around the room as my heart raced. She couldn't possibly know that I was Shazam of the Justice League could she? I don't think I've ever met her before, but that's not to say that's she hasn't met me. But could she really be so fast to find out? Or does she not know me, but the wizard Shazam? It was a possibility.

The voice of Starfire broke through my worrying thoughts, "I'm sure he comes here like the rest of us, in need of a family and a place that will except him. If we are kind he will open up to us, just like you did Damian."

I couldn't help but let a small snicker escape. My hands flew up to my face hoping that they hadn't heard me. I waited a moment before allowing myself to relax again, as no one seemed to have heard me.

A hand flew through the open doorway and grasped the clothing at my chest, yanking me into the room. I stared into the face of a knife with my hands up. "What are you doing sneaking around?" demanded Damian, the one who had grabbed me.

"Hey, settle down with the knives," I teased, "I was just looking for the fridge. Ya know, food? Do you guys not eat or something?" It was a lie but they didn't need to know that. Damian released his hold and put his knife back down at his belt. I re-adjusted my shirt so that it wasn't scrunched together at the front.

"Food is over there," Damian said while pointing over his shoulder. I glanced around him and saw parts of a kitchen through spaces in the walls.

"Great thanks," I responded and shoved past him. Garfield and Jaime sided up with me, heading toward the kitchen.

"So what's your story man?" Asked Jaime.

Garfield added more, "yeah! Where'd you come from? How'd you get your powers? What can you do with your powers anyway? What's your favourite food? Do you have any siblings?"

His onslaught of question came to an end when we reached the kitchen. I directed my attention on the fridge and opened it up to find a sorry excuse for food. A carton of eggs, musty looking pizza, mustard, pickled olives, and a few other delightful treats. I grabbed the pizza and took a sniff. I gagged hard and threw it back into the fridge. "You guys call this food?!" I exclaimed.

"Are you gonna answer any of my questions or not?" Garfield said.

"Not," I answered whilst moving over to the shelves and pantry.

"Cut him a little slack, he's just trying to be friendly," piped up Jaime. Friendly was a great word to describe the green boy, and hungry would describe me. I opened a shelf and found a box of Captain Crunch cereal. "Dry cereal it is," I muttered.

"Helloooo can you hear me? Earth to Billy!!?" Garfield yelled into my ear.

"What?!" I yelled turning to face him directly. "Don't you ever stop talking? I'm tired and hungry and don't want to answer any of your dumb questions!! SO LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"

Garfield's face fell and tears welled into his eyes. Jaime stood awkwardly beside him and Damian, Starfire and Raven stood in opening to the kitchen.

"Hey I'm sorry man, I didn't mean it," I attempted at comforting Garfield.

Garfield broke out into tears and fell on his knees, "all I wanted was for you to love me!! But look what you've done! It's all come down to this, my final moments, I shall begin the ceremony of exiting this world!! Spare me if you will, as your word appears to be my will. Now it is time for me to DIE!!!!!" He collapsed dramatically on the floor and I stared in open mouth shock as he burst into laughter. The tears instantly dried and Garfield popped back up to stand in front of me. "I'm not that dramatic silly," he said while patting my shoulder.

"Anyway, are you gonna share that cereal? Looks pretty tasty!"

~~~~~~~
A/N- Merry very late Christmas, Happy Holidays and have a good new year! I already know that I will not be sticking to my new year resolution as I have not even made one. Now, I bid thee ado. (Is that how you say it....I dunno).