Into Battle

https://goo.gl/images/oc6WDZ

Allura and Lance swam to the bottom of the ocean, eyes adjusting quickly to the darkness. Lance held his trident tightly, alert and prepared. Raising their sails to their full height, Lance began to light his luminescence, but Allura stopped him. "We don't want to attract attention."

Sliding stealthily across the sandy bottom, Lance and Allura picked up speed as the floor began to dip lower. After a few minutes of swimming, Lance began to see faint lights in the distance, blinking in and out. He squinted and stopped Allura from moving forward with a hand to her shoulder.

"That looks like the battle," he said quietly and she nodded in response.

"We set up camp closer to the harbor, but the Galra camp should be just beyond the front. Lotor is there- he's been camping out here for quite a while. We need to get to his cove before the fighting gets too bad. He'll be able to help us." Allura sounded sure of herself, and Lance could only hope that Lotor would actually be willing to help.

"We should go around, then," Lance said, pointing to the right of the flashing lights which he could only assume were luminescence.

Allura looked at him sharply, eyes set. "No. We fight our way through. This is a war, Lance. You take the left, I'll take the right, and stay right next to me. Plow right through and keep moving. Do not stop, not for anything."

Lance steeled himself, nodding. Allura was right. "Full luminescence now, show your heritage, Lance. You're an Altean. You're strong. Fight like one."

Allura gathered her hair back into a ponytail, pulled two daggers out of her satchel, and rocketed forward. Lance was right behind her.

As the two mers quickly approached the battlefront, and Lance realized the situation. Mers against Galra. Hundreds and hundreds of finned-beings, the muffled clash of metal underwater, battle cries and screams. Lance smelled blood in the water. And if there was blood, sharks were soon to come.

Lance had never seen the Galra up close. But now, as he and Allura zeroed in, as fear, true fear, crept over his heart, Lance realized why they were so notorious.

Purple-grey skin and flashing yellow eyes, their faces were set in rage, white fangs showing through their lips. Their tails were black and like a shark's- the fin was vertical instead of horizontal. They had luminescence too, theirs purple. It glowed eerily in stripes along their tails, on their necks, on the tips of their ears, which were pointed. Instead of sails, they had large, sharp dorsal fins, which had thin outlines of purple light.

They fought with long, curved blades as sharp as the tridents and spears the mers fought with, and damn, did they know how to use them. Agile and fast, their combat evenly matched the mers, which was good in its own way. Fewer casualties, but more of a fight. Eventually, one side would tire out, and Lance could only pray it wasn't the mers.

As he scanned the battle, for a split second, he thought he saw two Galran's fighting, but then realized that one of them was a Blade, and he felt a surge of hope. The Marmora were elite, stronger than the Galra even though their numbers were few. He had hope.

Allura and Lance launched into the battle, and everything slowed to slow-motion. Lance watched as pairs around him fought, a mer and a Galran, shrieking and screaming, tails churning the water so much it was hard to swim.

Lance flipped through openings, under tails, and struck out with his trident. Most Galran's were able to see the attack and dodge the sharp points with a frightened shriek, but Lance was able to hit his weapon over the head of a galran soldier, promptly leaving him unconscious. Lance didn't stick around to watch the soldier fall to the sand.