Chapter 2: To the Finish

After taking in a deep breath of outside air and rubbing his cramped hand, Coy made haste to the strip mall not too far away.

     See, Coy hadn't exactly told his parents where he had been, and instead had said he was going out for the day and would take the bus home at around 4:00 pm. It was currently 3:15, so he still had a bit of time before hand. He walked into the arcade, and was instantly absorbed into the atmosphere.
Gaming systems of all kinds lined every wallspace available, each flashing with a different game on their screens. PCs were uploaded with every game available for the past few years, so everyone on a computer, usually was playing a different game. When Coy glanced at the screens they all displayed the same game, Fortnite.
Now, Coy had played the game a few times, and wasn't too impressed. It was a simple battle game, not something that had never been done before, but it was extremely popular and the competition was extremely intense.   

     Everyone in the arcade was currently playing on the same server, hosting a tournament of some kind, the prize of which happened to be a good amount of money from each of the participants, $5 from each person, with about 20 different people, made a good amount of prize money. He glanced down at his phone screen, checking the time, he had a good half hour left to play, it would only be until he died or something anyways. Coy gave the staff, who were managing the tournament his entry fee and sat down at an empty computer and logged in, before joining the server.
Almost immediately, Coy spawned in and checked his area, a guy had spawned in and was completely absorbed into the game. It became a cycle of building, getting supplies, and the occasional kill. Slowly, kids got up from their screens, and migrated to one of the players that were still in the game. Coy fired again, gaining another kill, and somewhere in the background, a player yelled in frustration, pounding on the keyboard. 

"Can you believe how long this thing had gone on? It's been almost a solid 40 minutes, and there are still players left?" Someone commented, and Coy paled before looking away from the screen for the first time, and sneaked a peek down at his phone, 3:55 pm. Five minutes until the bus would arrive, and honestly, he should've been at the stop by now. He glanced over to see how many players were left. 3 remained... wait 2 more, that guy just died.

     With determination, Coy went on a hard offensive in pursuit of the last two players in a regretfully large map. Coy left himself out in the open, as an attempt to lure out the other players, and it worked, within the minute, one of the remaining players starting shooting at him from afar. Quickly, Coy built a cover from stone, and made his way towards the player. Right when they were going to charge, Coy managed to shoots them.

     The player a few computers to Coy's right shouted profanities at the screen. The last remaining player and Coy met gazes for a split second before they both rapidly turned to their computers and Coy snatched a glance at the clock. 3:58 pm. He abandoned all cation and searched the map for the last player. He had to finish this, because there was no way he was going to quit without winning or losing.

     His health started to drop as shots were fired, and Coy frantically searched for the player. After a few second and a rapidly decreasing health, Coy spotted him, and just as he was about to be hit again, he fired a few shots of his own. Somewhere to his left, the other player cursed. As fast as he could, Coy got as close as he could to his remaining opponent, while being shot at, and landed another hit. His gun was superior, and the last player fell. With a cheer, the crowd gave him a pat on the back and shouts of "GG" could be heard in the mix with some sour comments and insults.
Coy gathered his belongings and snatched the money from the tired-looking employee and checked the time. 3:59 pm. Bursting through the arcade doors, followed by shouts from some of the people he had shoved aside and sprinted towards the bus stop, clutching his new found pocket-money in hand.