Chapter 7: Confort Food

The cab driver did not appreciate a smelly, soaked teen in the back of his car, but money was money, no matter the customer. Coy gave the driver directions to his house, and the yellow cab took him home. This time, he was sure to memorize the way, so this wouldn't happen again. He had thanked the old homeless man before getting into the cab, and had looked back with a wave.

     When Coy finally got home, he did not expect a cop car to be parked in the driveway. The driver dumped him back out onto the rain, and took the money, before driving off again, mumbling something about getting his cab cleaned. Thankfully the rain started to slow down and Coy knocked on the front door of his home.

     Not a second later, a woman opened the door, his mother, and embraced him in a deep hug, despite him still being dirty and soaked. She tugged him into the house and checked him over, as he dripped a small pile of water onto the floor. She gasped at his bruises and black eye and rushed off to get medical supplies.

   Coy looked into the living room, and saw his father conversing with a local police officer, both with a cup of coffee in their hands. Coy walked into the room, and greeted his father.

     His father smiled, but frowned when he saw how Coy was.

     "Where were you? You haven't called and you weren't home when you said you would be here." His father questioned.

     Coy thought for a moment, about whether to lie or not about his disappearance, but at that moment, his mother came back with the first aid kit and a dry set of clothes and he excused himself to go change.

     There wasn't much his mom could do about his wounds, most of them were bruises, and she gave him an ice pack for his eye as well as a painkiller. Thankful for the dry clothing and the fading throb from his bruises, Coy went back out into the living room, where his parents happily conversed with the police officer.

     Coy gained attention as he walked in, eyes turning to him as he sat on the sofa, finally relaxing. His father gave him a skeptical look, and asked the same question as earlier.

     "So what happened to you today? Your mother was so worried she thought you had gone missing since you've been gone for about 12 hours." His father said, and tilted his head towards the officer.

    "I just had the worst luck of all things." Coy groaned, not really wanting to explain what had happened, but he knew he wasn't getting out of it when his father patiently waited for him to continue. The police officer also seemed a bit curious about what the teen had been doing all day.

     Coy told a retelling of his story, but left out his detention, he didn't want to upset his parents, and continued to go on, not really leaving anything out, but perhaps he left out and glossed over a few minorly major details.

     The officer seemed the most in the part where Coy got jumped, but did not interrupt. Coy simply told that part as it was. After he finished, there was a period of silence before the officer spoke up.

     "Can you give me a further description on the two who attacked you, and what exactly they stole?" The officer asked.

     "Yeah... um..." Coy had to think about for a moment and recall exactly what the two thugs had looked like, "One wore a hoodie, a dark blue one and was really scrawny, but he packed a hard punch. He seemed to have anger issues and a bad mouth. The other guy was really bulky and didn't say much, he did whatever the scrawny guy said, but he was really strong and I couldn't get away from him. Only the hoodie guy actually hurt me though." Coy described, trying to recall the major details.

     "Tell me, where exactly did you get attacked?" He was asked again.

     "Behind the McDonalds on 54th street, near the Walgreens." Coy said, and the officer seemed to go on his phone and type it down or text it someone.

     The officer looked up at him and smiled, before turning to Coy's father, "Your son might've just helped us solve a recent string of burglaries in the area." The officer credited, and got up not long after that.

     His mother got up to go do something which left Coy and his father in the living room together.

Coy was still deeply slumped into to sofa after his long, and very tiring day.

"So, why did you leave out the part about your saturday detention?" Coy's father asked him in a serious tone, and Coy could feel his glare.

Coy paled.